Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to invest in the Corse Dynamics fuel plate after dealing with a reoccurring fuel leak from the OEM garbage quick disconnects.

Swap has been pretty straight forward so far, but like others, I cannot seem to get the regulator & regulator o-ring back in.

One thread I read, recommended having a shop use an arbor press. Another thread recommended mailing it back to Motowheels to have them install it.

Is there anything else I can try before resorting to these options?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Had a local guy press the regulator in today. Afterwards, it looked like the o-ring didn't quite sit right, so I decided to remove it again. Sure enough, the o-ring was split. Used plenty of grease and took our time pressing it in. Is there something I'm missing here?

ID of the fuel plate regulator hole measures at 13.00mm.

O-ring is 3.70mm thick, 8.00mm ID, and 14.60mm OD.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
The O ring probably swelled from the fuel.
We've noticed that has happened in a couple cases and made it difficult to install.

We are going to try to source some of those O rings to make the install easier

-M

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Moto. A replacement o-ring in the kit would be great! So far, the craftsmanship of the fuel plate has been spot on. I can't wait to get it installed. :)

In the meantime, I've got 50 viton o-rings if anyone needs one lol.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Had a local guy press the regulator in today. Afterwards, it looked like the o-ring didn't quite sit right, so I decided to remove it again. Sure enough, the o-ring was split. Used plenty of grease and took our time pressing it in. Is there something I'm missing here?

ID of the fuel plate regulator hole measures at 13.00mm.

O-ring is 3.70mm thick, 8.00mm ID, and 14.60mm OD.
the o-ring is a -203 o-ring, buy a new one from mcmastercarr or a local hydraulic supply house, make sure it is viton and you will be good to go. the stock o-ring before fuel touches it is 14mm not 14.60mm, looks like yours has grown a little bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Ok, I think I figured out why I was tearing o-rings while pressing this regulator in.

Looks like the taper on the Corse Dynamics fuel plate isn't as steep as the OEM one.

Since I now have a bunch of o-rings to spare, I tried pressing the regulator back into the OEM plate a couple times.

The o-ring seats correctly in the OEM plate, but I still haven't been able to not tear o-rings while installing the regulator into the Corse Dynamics plate.

Any suggestions?

OEM plate

Corse Dynamics Plate

Side by Side

·
Registered
346 Posts
I purchased a bunch of spare o-rings from mcmaster. I used a vice and some wood so I don't damage the flange or the regulator flange. I wasted 15 o-rings with plenty of hose assembly lube before I got one to go in properly. They kept squeezing out and tearing. I found you have to go slow and make sure it's absolutely square before pressing it in. You can try using your fingernail to press the o-ring in if its squeezing out at a certain point.

I agree the taper is different from the stock piece and is not steep enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I wasted 15 o-rings with plenty of hose assembly lube before I got one to go in properly.
Well, you got me beat. Luckily I only wasted 9 during this fiasco. haha

I tried various lubes, techniques, and even freezing an o-ring. I verified that most of them pressed in evenly, but they all split right along the middle of the o-ring.

In the end, I decided to take some 400 grit sandpaper and wetsand the taper to a smoother angle. I admit, not very pro :eek:, but I took my time and made sure it was even (by the eye). End result, between the smoother angle and a (light) poking to the o-ring, it finally slipped into the channel without splitting.

What got me to this point:
I was kinda out of options... After talking to Motowheels on Tuesday, they assured me that all of the plates are machined the exact same, so the error had to of been in the o-rings i bought. I triple checked the o-ring size, and even pressed a couple of them into the OEM plate with no issues. I have no clue how other people managed to install it without splitting o-rings. Or, maybe they did split and just never pulled the regulator back out to verify. I dunno... I did, so hopefully I can lay this fuel issue to rest.

In hindsight, I would definitely buy this plate again, but would either buy quite a few replacement o-rings in advance or request they be added to the kit. I still think the regulator hole angle is an issue, but hopefully this thread will create some conversation and the issue can be fixed in future units. All in all, this fuel plate mod is a MUST for any ducati owner IMHO. Well worth the little bit of headache to ditch the OEM disconnects.

·
Registered
213 Posts
im glad i stumbled on this thread. i am getting ready to pull the trigger on this exact item for my 848. Now i have some guide lines to go with. Thanks for the tips fellas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts