Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I have 2014 Hyperstrada with 11,000klm
Ever since i bought this bike the centre stand has been dragging every time you get any sort of lean angle on.
On recent ride i could feel the centre stand scraping and when i arrived at my destination and switched off ignition engine oil starting pouring out near the centre stand bracket.
Upon inspection there is a crack/fracture in the engine casing just above the mounting bracket.
Took the bike to Ducati and of course they asked do you have insurance ....i believe this should be covered in warranty. If the stand has been scraping since the day i bought it ...there is design issue with it , if they are saying the stand has caused the fracture surely that means it should be covered in warranty ????

Has anyone else had problems like this ???

Really appreciate your feedback .....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum Neil!

WOW, yea I've never head of that issue before. The mounts for the side stand are very strong, that part of the case is pretty thick. I'm not overly familiar with the hyperstrada, it's such a new bike there really isn't much discussion on problems like this yet.

I'd love to see a few pictures because I have a feeling the dealership see's other physical damage. That kickstand can scrape all it want's without damaging anything. So my guess is, they think something hit your bike and caused the damage.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Did you ever try to turn the bike while I the centre stand .....some people do .
Has always been a issue with Ducatis having stands bolted to the alloy cases ther than a steel frame . I would say for a stand to be scraping enough for it to crack your cases you would have high sided well before that happened

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies ....i'm surprised as anyone when they told me the engine had crack in it...when i first seen the oil i thought it was loose filter or seal....then they pointed to the crack right about the point where the centre stand is connected with case.

Going into shop tomorrow to discuss ....i'm hoping there will be some warranty deal ...because if it has been caused by the stand hitting the ground ...that should be design flaw ..right ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Depends how many others you can find with the same issue . If it's a common issue you would think .
Did you do anything to stop the stand hitting the ground look at he suspension etc ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
no i didnt touch the suspension settings at all ....as the bike was running sweet for me .

I had intended to take the centre off altogether as it unnerving when your mid corner and the ground scrapes it.
I have had stands before scrape when the load springs get loose and they tend to sag little......but there not usually connected to the engine case as with Hyper.

I am amazed other Hyper riders are not experiencing the same thing ....there are scrape marks on both sides of my stand....its not like i'm taking it to track and getting me knee down or anything like that....there is still 5mm chicken strips i'm little ashamed of ffs!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
WOW that's a crazy problem. You can see the crack in the case right behind the gusset. This isn't the normal Ducati design, they made some major changes to make the center stand work.

Dang, sorry no help from me! :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it seems crazy to me too , having the stand and engine case connected this way.
Going into Ducati today to see what they have to say about it all ....

Hoping they will out things right under the warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the guys in Italy say NO! refuse to cover under warranty which is a bit disappointing. So needs to be done through my insurance .

Been 2months without my bike and hoping to have it back in couple of weeks,....

Needless to say the bloody centre stand is coming off!

Itching for a blast.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Not to rant, but it's a poor design, Ducati should cover it under warranty. There is no way that assembly would work if it was hit in any way. It would just snap off, taking your cases along with it.

Sorry for your troubles, the modern Ducati's have a lot of issues like this and it's sad to see. :(

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Not to rant, but it's a poor design, Ducati should cover it under warranty. There is no way that assembly would work if it was hit in any way. It would just snap off, taking your cases along with it.

Sorry for your troubles, the modern Ducati's have a lot of issues like this and it's sad to see. :(
I am sure any objection to the above post would quickly be deleted by the administrator...suffice it to say....I vehemently disagree with the total personal agenda.........
.....just sayin....

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am sure any objection to the above post would quickly be deleted by the administrator...suffice it to say....I vehemently disagree with the total personal agenda.........
.....just sayin....
Hey man ... just because taglioni never asked YOU for
Engineering advice doesn't mean some of us (OK, maybe
just one of us) isn't highly connected in the eye-talian
Motorcycle industry. Shruggie. Just saying ...

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
[QU to mentionOTE=Abby normal;812564]Hey man ... just because taglioni never asked YOU for
Engineering advice doesn't mean some of us (OK, maybe
just one of us) isn't highly connected in the eye-talian
Motorcycle industry. Shruggie. Just saying ...[/QUOTE]

Maybe I could get away with sayin ...of all the Ducati I have owned, tracked and raced, Not to mention just rode since 1972, I have never had a cracked engine case. During that time period I have owned 6 or 7 different models and worked on a dozen different motors, some of which were crashed multiple times...never a cracked case...just sayin...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, well, there was this one time I was givin' Franco farne
A few tips, cause he was having trouble, you know, stayin on
The line. Anyway, turns out he stole a bunch of my ideas ... stuff
That ended up on the superbikes. Not the stuff that breaks, you know ...
The other stuff.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm familiar with your post and the discussion on the other forum, where people are coming out of the woodwork saying this should be covered by warranty, but I disagree. If it cracked because you've been dragging the centerstand on the ground, in my opinion that's no different than damage from tipping the bike over. It would be great if they offered some good will, but I wouldn't expect it.
Either way, bummer to see it and I hope you get back on the road soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts