Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with my 2007 1098s starting and it turned out to be the starter.

Well I took it all apart and was able to replace the starter with a new one.

I went to put the left case/stator cover back on and started tightening the bolts and bigger than shit I cracked it! :mad:

I had a bit of trouble getting the outer cover to meet up with the inside but as far as I know there was nothing in the way and the bolts all seemed to line up.

Maybe I should have tapped around the edges with a rubber mallet.

I've ordered another cover but I'd really appreciate some tips to prevent me from busting another cover.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You probably didn't have it centered on the crankshaft. You've gotta tap it on with a rubber mallet so it's all the way on before tightening it. I actually keep the puller tool in place when re-assembling and use that as a tapping place. It works really well.

FYI, there is a bearing in the cover that your new one may not come with. Just double check that before re-installing and if suspect, replace it. That bearing is a critical part and it can contaminate the lubrication system if it's damaged.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm betting the water pump drive was not engaged in the timing shaft slot. A VERY easy detail to miss! It will hold the case just a few mm off the surface even after the crank bearing is well located........... Where did it crack?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts