Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work on my 09' 848 today and a buddy helping me noticed that my swingarm is cracked!

Has any one experienced this before? Is it safe to ride? What are the solutions beyond buying a new or used swingarm, if any?

Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ever dropped the bike / took a spill?

I wouldn't ride it. But that's only because I don't think its worth getting hurt if avoidable.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Ouch, don't ride like that. New swing arms from Italy were like $2,300 back when I had to look. However, you can get one in mint shape for $500... or one with a scratch or two (I've got one like that) for maybe half of that.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
There's a black swing arm off an 1198 in the forsale section 2nd page for $250 shipped. I'd give that a shot but still get in touch with a dealer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies!

I will not be riding it like this. I'm doing my own 'internal' investigation to see if I can figure out when this occurred. I just checked some videos from before my last track day at Mid-Ohio (last Monday), and the crack was there and apparently I rode without knowing it was there. I posted this video earlier this week of my track day from the Mid-Ohio track day, and you can see that the bike was running fine and actually felt better than ever due to a recent gearing change that I completed:

I'm scheduled for a track day tomorrow at PittRace. A buddy has offered to let me use the swingarm off of an 'extra' 1098 he has, or just use the bike for the day...

Is it possible to have a welder do a repair job on this?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rusty, what's up??? I thought I did this a Mid-Ohio Monday, but it was already there!

And no, I will not be riding this bike with this swingarm tomorrow. If I do decide to ride this bike, it will have the swingarm from my friends 1098... or I'll just ride that bike and skip the early morning drama.

I kinda like the idea of switching the swingarms though, just to see how hard of a job it is...

·
Registered
698 Posts
The 1098/1198 swingarm have bigger rear hub,you will need also 1098/1198 rear wheel if you plan use 1098swingarm.i talk to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
The 1x98 and 848 use the same swingarm. Only the hub is different and the hub is removable. There are low mileage 1x98/848 swingarms available for around $200 on Ebay from reputable cycle salvage places. a bare swingarm doesn't fetch much.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts