Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Steel Ducati 1098/1198 SF MTS1200 wheel nut socket

Hate to tell you that you overpaid. Full steel and what I use on my 1199. Plus, it has a built in that first the front axle nut.
Yeah 88 is a ripoff. I got mine for like $50. Can't remember if it was a speedymoto one or the motomfg one. Sold it for about 25-30 or something like that, and still in good shape...unlike the aluminum one I had before which was junk after using it about 4 times.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I stripped an aluminum one with a 6ft breaker bar nut wouldn't even budge before it started stripping. Used an impact gun and it zipped right off. Use an impact it will never strip 👍

Attachments

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
^^^ Geez... I have been using a crappy aluminum one since 2008 on my 1098R, changing rears two/three times every race weekend with a Snapon 1/2" drive impact with a 4" extention... still fits tight in the 1/2" recess...

Guess I need to have a spare...just in case..... Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My aluminum one stripped on the 1/2" square drive as well....with an impact too! The impact just beats it up every time you use it. It works for the first few times but eventually it'll get to the point where the socket will get jammed on the 1/2" drive of the impact.

There's a reason all impact rated tools are made out of high-strength steel, NEVER aluminum.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
^^^ Geez... I have been using a crappy aluminum one since 2008 on my 1098R, changing rears two/three times every race weekend with a Snapon 1/2" drive impact with a 4" extention... still fits tight in the 1/2" recess...

Guess I need to have a spare...just in case..... Thanks for the post!
That's surprising :confused:....do you torque the nut to the 230 N-m per Ducati's spec?

·
Registered
458 Posts
To be fair, I bought the bike used and somebody, or something happened where the nut was on ridiculously tight. Had to end up riding to the shop to have them loosen it, re-torque it. It was tough to get it off this off-season (I bring the wheels inside) but I managed with my new steel socket and leverage bar.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
To be fair, I bought the bike used and somebody, or something happened where the nut was on ridiculously tight. Had to end up riding to the shop to have them loosen it, re-torque it. It was tough to get it off this off-season (I bring the wheels inside) but I managed with my new steel socket and leverage bar.
I've had issues with mine a few times, even though I always torque it close to spec, same way every time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Its very important to keep some kind of anti-seize on the nut and the washer under it. Also, keeping everything clean and grit free. Weather you change your tires once a year or 3 times a day. I do a lot of tire changes, and have made a habit of cleaning and re-anti-seizeing all the fasteners every time. Because ive had to deal with the welded on wheel nut syndrome before... no fun

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.