Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello alll. new to this forum in the market for a 848 but just want a idea of which dealer to go with.. Gengras has given a fair price i need to talk to cliffs there both about 45 mins from the house, so just looking foropions on customer service from those that have dealt with them,

thanks, T

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I bought my 1098 from Cliffs... Here are my thoughts...

Foremost, Cliffs is in the process of moving into a newer, larger location. Their new address will be 465 Federal Road in Brookfield, CT which is a hair under 10 miles away from their current location in Danbury.

For the most part everyone at Cliffs has been pretty good to me. From the time I placed my pre-order in December of 2006 to when I picked up the bike in the Spring of 2007. I have no complaints with their sales and documentation team. The parts department was always knowledgeable and willing to help with both OEM and aftermarket parts, even gone as far as to suggest another retailer / dealer if they didn't have the item in question in stock.

John, who runs the Dyno shop adjacent to Cliffs is a very cool person. I know him personally from local gatherings, and is always their to help with questions, concerns and advice.

The showroom, well at least the old one, was always very accommodating with gear, bikes and accessories. You could actually spend some time their browsing and checking out what they had. I hear their new location will be even cooler, complete with a riders lounge.

Another good thing about Cliffs is the fact they're always hosting some sort of bike event. Whether it be a ride or a gathering, there's always something to look fwd to on the "Cliffs calender of events." Great way to meet and mingle with other riders and enthusiasts.

Now, last but not least, even with all the above mentioned Pro's, my biggest gripe with Cliffs was with their service dept. Maybe it was just my own personal experience or just with my bike, but my over-all experience with Cliffs service dept was VERY POOR! I won't go into the LONG details, but I had to get DNA (Ducati North America) involved, because my bike was in and out of their shop a handful of times for the SAME problems (stalling and starter issues) and nothing was ever fixed. Under DNA orders and authority my bike was shipped to another dealer (whom had Ducati AUTHORIZED technicians, apparently Cliffs didn't) and both my stalling and starting concerns were addressed and repaired 100% with one visit.

I don't know what was going on at Cliffs service dept, or maybe it was the fact they didn't have certified techs, but they simply weren't doing their job to the standards you would expect from a Ducati dealership. I mean they even botched up my 600 miles service, by forgetting to reset my ECU's service light. When I told the service manager it was still on, he said it can't be still on, and that his service technicians reset it in front of him... I called him out to the parking lot to see for himself and you should have seen his face when he said, give me 15min to reset it... Talk about embarrassed! Mistakes happen, and I'm not one to hold a grudge, but one after another after another and so fourth... You have to draw the line...

So, in a nutshell that was my experience with Cliffs. I still visit them, and patronage their parts dept regularly, but I don't think I will ever take my bike back to Cliffs for servicing...

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matty said:
id just go to both and see who would give you the best deal. If i had to make a guess it would be with Gengras
Yes that's the first instinct but this is my first duc in the first mocel yr of the 848 i may need a dealers support if things don't go right. i've had 3 gsxr's and a couple ktm's after the first gsxr i did all my own wrenching. just might need some dealer assitance i want to get it right...

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, last but not least, even with all the above mentioned Pro's, my biggest gripe with Cliffs was with their service dept. Maybe it was just my own personal experience or just with my bike, but my over-all experience with Cliffs service dept was VERY POOR! I won't go into the LONG details, but I had to get DNA (Ducati North America) involved, because my bike was in and out of their shop a handful of times for the SAME problems (stalling and starter issues) and nothing was ever fixed. Under DNA orders and authority my bike was shipped to another dealer (whom had Ducati AUTHORIZED technicians, apparently Cliffs didn't) and both my stalling and starting concerns were addressed and repaired 100% with one visit.

I don't know what was going on at Cliffs service dept, or maybe it was the fact they didn't have certified techs, but they simply weren't doing their job to the standards you would expect from a Ducati dealership. I mean they even botched up my 600 miles service, by forgetting to reset my ECU's service light. When I told the service manager it was still on, he said it can't be still on, and that his service technicians reset it in front of him... I called him out to the parking lot to see for himself and you should have seen his face when he said, give me 15min to reset it... Talk about embarrassed! Mistakes happen, and I'm not one to hold a grudge, but one after another after another and so fourth... You have to draw the line...

So, in a nutshell that was my experience with Cliffs. I still visit them, and patronage their parts dept regularly, but I don't think I will ever take my bike back to Cliffs for servicing...[/QUOTE]

that's the kinda of feedback i need b4 i buy.. looks like gengras unless someone has something to say about them.. john broke in my 750 he is a cool guy..

· Registered
329 Posts
I bought mine from Gengras. Gengras offered my 15% off anything I bought with the bike including the exhaust and 10% off anything else for 90 days after that. That saved me a lot of money. I asked cliffs if they would match that and they said no. Ramone is in charge of the parts dept at Gengras and he's a very cool guy. They don't carry as many after market parts as Cliffs does but they are a new dealer. Cliffs does host a lot of events but they are open to the public. I've also wittnessed bad service at Cliffs and besides Cliffs is an hour from my house. Talk to Forrest at Gengras he's a good guy and wil give you a good deal.

· Registered
67 Posts
Just bought my 1098S from Forrest this weekend. A straight up guy that was a pleasure to deal with. No complaints. I just have to swing back in to pick up a Gift Card they didn't apply to my purchase as part of a promo by accident and my DDA. I'm not anticipating a problem getting the gift card that was offered when I bought the bike though. If I have any issues, I'll post them up. All told though, they've been great to do business with all along. Treated my wife and myself as we expected to be treated.

Shane

· Registered
129 Posts
yeah, when i first purchased my 1098 forrest was great to work with. the guy that did all the paperwork was terrible. i had to go back in 3 times to sign paperwork he forgot to take care of. luckily, they fired him soon after i bought my bike because he was screwing everyone's paperwork up and he also bumped up my 749 trade in $2000 so i could pay off the existing loan....cool thing was he forgot to add it on to my new purchase...made up for the screw ups.

· Registered
97 Posts
I bought my 848 from Forrest as well last weekend. He did a great job and I have no complaints with Gengras. My 848 broke down the next day (Sunday) down by Candlewood lake and I had to get a buddy with a trailer to come and get me and my new bike:(

I called Forrest when they opened on Tuesday and they sent someone to my house and picked up my bike by noon and had it repaired on Thursday. It ended up being the voltage regulator/rectifier.

I picked her up yesterday and forgot about everything as soon as I twisted the throttle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.