Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for some Ducati conversations.... Like,

Monday, 15 September 2014
At the Gran Premio TIM di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini on Sunday Andrea Dovizioso registered another good result for the Ducati Team in fourth place, taking the flag just 5.5s down on winner Valentino Rossi.
The Italian rider, who started from row two of the grid after qualifying sixth, was fifth at the end of the opening lap behind fellow Ducati man Andrea Iannone and was then passed by Dani Pedrosa on lap 4. Both riders moved ahead of Pramac Racing’s Iannone on lap 8, and after Marc Marquez’s crash, they found themselves in a battle for third.

Constantly setting quick lap times, Dovizioso remained right on Pedrosa’s tail until the final lap, but he was unable to pass the Honda rider and had to settle for fourth ahead of Iannone, who was fifth at the flag. Significantly, Dovizioso’s final gap from Rossi was 5.510s.

Dovizioso enthused, “I am so happy. I had a really great race. This weekend was actually quite a difficult one and I didn’t believe I could have such a race. I’d like to thank all the team because we are working so hard to try and make up the gap to the leaders, and slowly but surely we are succeeding. A gap of five seconds at the flag is like a dream, I didn’t think it was possible today.”

“We’re not yet close enough to fight with the front runners and we still have to grit our teeth for the entire race. I tried to grab third place from Pedrosa until the very end but today I was really over the limit in certain parts, so fourth was OK.”

Teammate Cal Crutchlow, who started from row 5, finished in ninth place after a good battle with Alvaro Bautista, Aleix Espargaro and Yonny Hernandez.

The Briton commented, “It is a rather a disappointing result considering I felt we could have competed a bit better with some of the riders in front of us this weekend. I never had a good feeling at the start of the race with a full fuel tank and couldn’t stop the bike so well. Once the fuel load went down, we started to get a bit faster, but I made a lot of mistakes in the race, maybe ten seconds worth.”

“Around lap 20 I felt I had a problem with the tyre so I had to slow down for two laps and check and then once I got going again I was doing my fastest laps in the race. Hopefully we can have a better race weekend at Aragon.”

and...

Iannone and Hernandez make it a successful weekend for Pramac Racing

Pramac Racing Misano race review
Iannone finishes fifth but wanted to fight with Dovizioso
Monday, 15 September 2014
The Gran Premio TIM di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini saw Andrea Iannone and Yonny Hernandez both match their best results of the season, to make it a successful home round for the Pramac Racing team.
Iannone crossed the finish line in fifth place, having impressively qualified in second position on the grid on Saturday. At the start Iannone was overtaken by eventual race winner Valentino Rossi and World Champion Marc Marquez. He managed to keep in fourth position until the seventh lap when, after a slight contact with Dani Pedrosa, he was passed by Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso.

Inannone then moved up to fifth after the crash by Marquez. The first few laps were difficult for the Italian rider, but he was able to find a good rhythm once he settled into racing, almost on the same pace as the big name riders in front of him.

The result sets him up nicely for the remainder of the season and he has now finished fifth at three of the last five rounds.

“I knew I could not fight with Jorge and Vale, but I tried anyway,” explained Iannone. “With a full tank it was hard to ride. Unfortunately I found my rhythm a bit late because by the end I was riding with the same pace as Dani and Dovi. Andrea’s bike was slightly faster than mine and he was able to stay up with Pedrosa.”

“My engine was not at its full potential but we knew it before the race that it had less power. I am satisfied with this result, it is our lowest distance from the first rider this year and this confirms the improvements. It’s a good result and it’s a good thing for the future.”

Hernandez also had a good race, earning more points and finishing in the top ten. He was pleased with his performance in general, saying, “I’m thrilled to be able to finish in the top ten again. I had a good race with (Cal) Crutchlow and I managed to stay with him until the tyres started to drop. I have to work hard on the final part of the race and the tyre life. This was a great weekend for me, I want to thank my team for all the work they have done.”

Reactions: 1fast750ss

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good to see the Ducatis getting better and better. When was the last time a Ducati ran with the Hondas, for the entire race??? Long time... and look at the level of riders who finished ahead of Dovi and Inannone... Pretty damn good weekend to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Sure. Even if we take out the fact that the Hondas don't like Misano, and that it is Ducati's 'home circuit' (or one of them!) it is a great result.
To be within 5.5 secs of the outright winner of the race is definitely significant progress.
Yes, they have the advantage of the Open class (before anyone has to remind us..) but it is still getting closer to the leaders.
Sounds like Dovi could hardly believe it.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you see Dovi smack his tank when he took the checkered flag??? He knew he had a chance to Podium, in the dry. He was a bit pissed he could not get around Pedrosa. Oh my, that would have been a Sunday delight! I really do not care what the "classification" is, it is good to see the Ducatis being in the same frame as the leaders in the race. Not only just in MotoGP, but also in WSBK, I have a feeling the tide is changing!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What a difference a year makes..
Yes, there is still a ways to go, but getting results and a rider to beleive in the project has been something that Ducati has not had a lot of in GP.

I am REALLY curious to see what Gigi has planned for the future? From the beginning, it was said to be a two year plan. So far? So good..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not to be the negative debbie downer, but didn't Rossi get 2nd place at Misano 2 years ago on a Ducati, finishing 4 seconds behind the leader??....sorry, had to mention it ;)

But yes, overall I agree, they're getting better. I honestly think the bike has improved quite a bit, and now they just need a better rider. Dovi is performing about the same on it as he did on the Tech 3 bike a couple of years ago. Aside from having another alien in the way on a Honda (Marquez), he would've been finishing 3rd-4th on average...now it's 4th-5th because of the kid.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debbie Downer.. :) Hell, I don't even remember last year, much less two years ago!! But I do remember the first half of this year, and Ducati is beginning to run with the lead group of bikes in the field. I am sure earning ( for whatever reasons) good starting positions helps in staying with the "real" fast guys. In addition, I believe Dovizioso has become a better/faster rider on the current Ducati, as has Iannoni.. and now we see Hernandez moving forward. These results indicate the bike is getting better, even the second tier riders are getting good results. I won't write about Crutchlow, that is just plain strange. I will also say I am relieved and guardedly excited, to see the Ducatis fighting for the podium. I am thinking the Ducati Teams, both in MotoGp and WSBK are enjoying the new found results, as I am sure there is alot of work going in on the projects... Good to see.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda good for the Ducati folks.....

MotoGP photo from the Misano race...

04dovizioso,26pedrosa__gp_8451_slideshow.jpg

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and let's not overlook the 2014 Supersport 1000 class,.... standings after Jerez three Ducati 1199 in the Top Four!!!

1. L. MERCADO DUCATI 104
2. L. SAVADORI KAWASAKI 99
3. O. JEZEK DUCATI 69
4. F. MASSEI DUCATI 67
5. D. MCFADDEN KAWASAKI 63
6. M. LUSSIANA KAWASAKI 59
7. K. SMITH HONDA 55
8. R. LANUSSE KAWASAKI 53
9. K. VALK KAWASAKI 44
10. J. DAY HONDA 42

Also please note that #10 J.Day is listed from the US!!! (even if he is on a Honda)

_max9895_slide_big.jpg

_max9671_slide_big.jpg

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
That's Superstock Bob. (Supersport is the top level 600s).

And yes - Superstock results will offer some guide to the relative performances of the different makes in WSBK in the future. Once they've been emasculated to suit the plans of Dorna to kill off the series..

As to Crutchlow, and his poor results and apparent loss of enthusiasm? I guess, like Ben Spies, he found the MotoGP world just didn't suit him. A shame in both cases, as they had both shown so much promise.

One of the mysteries of the scene.

But both these riders seemed to react badly to their lack of immediate success, and may have said and done things which meant they lost support from their sponsors and teams.

After which it all went downhill..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
That's Superstock Bob. (Supersport is the top level 600s).

And yes - Superstock results will offer some guide to the relative performances of the different makes in WSBK in the future. Once they've been emasculated to suit the plans of Dorna to kill off the series..

As to Crutchlow, and his poor results and apparent loss of enthusiasm? I guess, like Ben Spies, he found the MotoGP world just didn't suit him. A shame in both cases, as they had both shown so much promise.

One of the mysteries of the scene.

But both these riders seemed to react badly to their lack of immediate success, and may have said and done things which meant they lost support from their sponsors and teams.

After which it all went downhill..
I think Ben was just SOL...in 2012, he pretty much had the worst luck a rider can have...and then it continued on in 2013 with a new team. Not much he could've done with that. I feel bad for him...I just wish he wouldn't have quit racing altogether :(

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stand corrected! Thank-you. Here is the main point. (and main point of the thread)

What I love about Ducati is their involvement in so many classes and series Motorcycle Roadrace Championships. I see it as a proving ground to test and refine bikes to be the best bikes on the grid. Whether it is MotoGP, WSBK, or production racing, Ducati is involved in many facets of the sport. (As is their parent company, Audi) All that different racing leads to advanced design of what works, and what makes the best horsepower/suspension/etcetc. From the super exoitic to the production racing Ducati is always there banging away. I am more keen on the production based (homogulation) racing as it is something I do, have done for decades (since the 1970s) and still enjoy today. There is great enjoyment to show up at a race/track event and see so many Ducatis entered. So many friends riding/racing Ducatis, all sharing the personal information of racing an Italian Twin. Just gotta love it.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should have known better than try and post on the other Thread....

So how about this?

MotoGP Motegi FP2 Dovizioso

Motegi 2014 - MotoGP - FP2 - Highlights

Friday, 10 October 2014

The MotoGP™ FP2 session at Motegi saw Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) set the standard on the first day of the Motul Grand Prix of Japan, with Jorge Lorenzo and Stefan Bradl also amongst the leading trio.

On an extra soft rear tyre Dovizioso set the best time of the day towards the end of FP2 with a 1’45.140 lap of the Japanese circuit, which put him 0.440s ahead of the second best rider Lorenzo.

In FP1 Lorenzo led the way and although he improved in the afternoon he could not patch the pace of Dovizioso, with the Italian taking full advantage of the softer rubber. Third in FP2 was Bradl (LCR Honda MotoGP) with a similar time to Lorenzo’s, 0.497s adrift of P1.

Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) survived a big moment in FP1 when he produced a remarkable stoppie at turn 11, as he hit the brakes going into the corner. He ended the day fourth best, just in front of Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP).

The overall Friday top ten was completed by Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team), Pol Espargaro (Monster Yamaha Tech3), Bradley Smith (Monster Yamaha Tech3), Andrea Iannone (Pramac Racing) and Yonny Hernandez (Energy T.I. Pramac Racing)

Marquez was unhurt in a crash early in FP1 as he could not brake in time at turn 5, meaning his title shot weekend got off to a tricky start. He will look to move up the timesheets on Saturday.

Local rider Hiroshi Aoyama (Drive M7 Aspar) suffered a crash in the final minutes of the FP2 session, able to walk away with minimal damage to the bike. Hector Barbera (Avintia Racing) also suffered a small off, but was able to remount and return to the pits. Both riders were unhurt.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Interesting to read that he not only pulled an amazing lap on the extra soft, but "nobody" can complain about him getting the advantage of the tire as he was running in the top 2 on a hard tire all practice before he put on the extra soft, which means he was doing mid 145's. Pretty dam awesome for a non-alien on an inferior bike? :smoking:

Comparing to when he was on the yamaha, he crushed his best time of 1.46.2, so does that mean the Ducati now is a better bike, or is Dovi a better rider this year? hmm.......................

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Anyone else over hear Ducati has a full forward and reverse seamless gearbox as of Aragon? It's unfortunate they didn't go onboard with Dovi during his hot lap, it would have been nice to hear him go through the gears and how quick it is to shift.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting to read that he not only pulled an amazing lap on the extra soft, but "nobody" can complain about him getting the advantage of the tire as he was runing in the top 2 on a hard tire all practice before he put on the extra soft, which means he was doing mid 145's. Pretty dam awesome for a non-alien on an inferior bike? :smoking:

Comparing to when he was on the yamaha, he crushed his best time of 1.46.2, so does that mean the Ducati now is a better bike, or is Dovi a better rider this year? hmm.......................
Brian, you and I think alike!!! Thank-you for your insight.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Anyone else over hear Ducati has a full forward and reverse seamless gearbox as of Aragon? It's unfortunate they didn't go onboard with Dovi during his hot lap, it would have been nice to hear him go through the gears and how quick it is to shift.
There was rumor in the rags, but I don't think Dovi had it at Aragon..

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you go Brian!!

04dovizioso_ok_tin3739_slideshow.jpg

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There was rumor in the rags, but I don't think Dovi had it at Aragon..
Well, they have it now and Yamaha are pretty pissed off about it because theirs only goes up not down! :(

1 - 20 of 80 Posts