Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try shortening the stock handlebars?
I personal find the stock bars too wide which splays your arms out putting pressure on back of neck after a while, but the bar height and forward reach seems nice
Currently running Rizoma ma011 which are a bit shorter then stock but they sit further forward due to the rizoma 202 bar clamp setup. The heights fine but they feel 1 " too far away.

I see woodcraft do a adapter and clip on setup but its difficult to judge if the bars sit further forward or same as stock.

Will post some photos up tonight of the woodcraft setup on shift techs bike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hmm. Never thought of that. I am sure you would be fine, just may need to drill the control nub hole a bit closer in. I think on the stripe the master cyl may hit the small wind screen if you shortened the stock bars.

I just ordered the rizoma ma011 with 15mm rise as well as the 821/1200 risers. Good to know what I'm getting into. However I did look into the clip ons as well. Could not find much feedback on the 821/1200.

May be replacing the rizomas with the woodcraft clip ons if you try em and like em. I usually ride my monster how I ride my sport bike and looking to drop the bars and have a more swept back position. However on long rides it's niceto be comfy as it is why I bought the monster in the first place. Hoping to find a nice balance of both.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Was in the shop the other day and had a look at the diavel handlebar. This could be an option but it has a lot of height compared to the stock 821 bars but seems to have more pullback. Looking at the stock bars you don't have much to play with regards to cutting. As the mirror clamps would fowl on the bar bend if too much is taken off. Might try re-drill the control holes inwards 20mm and refit and ride prior to actually cutting the bars. Just a pain in the bum swapping the bar clamps back over. Also dont want to risk stuffing the aps sensor in the throttle tube.
Looks like the clutch cable will be jamed up against the headlight if its brought in any further. Ducabike do a hydrolic clutch for the 821 now but seems excessive having to do that to shorten handlebars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was in the shop the other day and had a look at the diavel handlebar. This could be an option but it has a lot of height compared to the stock 821 bars but seems to have more pullback. Looking at the stock bars you don't have much to play with regards to cutting. As the mirror clamps would fowl on the bar bend if too much is taken off. Might try re-drill the control holes inwards 20mm and refit and ride prior to actually cutting the bars. Just a pain in the bum swapping the bar clamps back over. Also dont want to risk stuffing the aps sensor in the throttle tube.
Looks like the clutch cable will be jamed up against the headlight if its brought in any further. Ducabike do a hydrolic clutch for the 821 now but seems excessive having to do that to shorten handlebars

I'm putting diavel Carbon bars on mine at the moment. I'll post some pics on here once I get them on probably over the weekend

Your right though they do sit a lil higher and pull back slightly more than the stock bars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeh u can pull them back as much as you want

I just had them abit higher and i like the positioning i can allways adjust them abit after i take it out for a spin.

Shit weather here atm so no riding since i put them on but will report back

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had to adjust them a little bit backwards.. but have to say they make a big difference from before

Comfort in riding is 100% better i allways felt kind of hunched over with the stock bars maybe its because i came from dirt bikes

Love the new.position and i find it alot easier and more comfortable to get higher in the revs and speed etc

Best mod ive made on the bike to date

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good to hear it worked out well. How tall are you?
Yeah I've come from dirtbikes and motards also. The yamaha mt09 feels a nice seat to bar position. Im hoping that the diavel bar alleviates the too far forward reach the bike currently has. Its fine on shorter rides. But 4 or more hours gets uncomfortable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good to hear it worked out well. How tall are you?
Yeah I've come from dirtbikes and motards also. The yamaha mt09 feels a nice seat to bar position. Im hoping that the diavel bar alleviates the too far forward reach the bike currently has. Its fine on shorter rides. But 4 or more hours gets uncomfortable.

Yeh mate u will love it makes the bike more chuck able and feel a lot more confident

I'm 5"11

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got bored and haven't received diavel bars yet. So cut down stock bars. Took 20mm off either end. So they are 710mm instead of the wide 750mm stock. In hindsight 10 - 15mm off either end may have been better. But they feel great. No more arms splayed out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well got bored and haven't received diavel bars yet. So cut down stock bars. Took 20mm off either end. So they are 710mm instead of the wide 750mm stock. In hindsight 10 - 15mm off either end may have been better. But they feel great. No more arms splayed out.
Glad it worked out for you Watky! I have my stock bars if you would like them a bit longer. I'd be happy to ship em out for you.

Still planning on trying the Diavel bars?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad it worked out for you Watky! I have my stock bars if you would like them a bit longer. I'd be happy to ship em out for you.

Still planning on trying the Diavel bars?
Thanks for the offer, but happy now with the width. Yeah will still try the diavel handlebar mainly for ling touring trips

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had to adjust them a little bit backwards.. but have to say they make a big difference from before

Comfort in riding is 100% better i allways felt kind of hunched over with the stock bars maybe its because i came from dirt bikes

Love the new.position and i find it alot easier and more comfortable to get higher in the revs and speed etc

Best mod ive made on the bike to date
Did you need to adjust for tank clearance issues? Or are the diavel bars fine and clear the tank? I'm trying to decide between your set up, the diavel bars with 1200 bar bracket or renthal low street bars with 821 oem bar bracket.
Do the diavel bars feel wide? I'm looking for rise on the grips, closer reach and not too wide. I agree with others that the stock bars are too low and too wide.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is my first mod

Thanks to @Watky for starting this threat and especially to @Chuppamello for the info and pics for the Diavel Bar install.

Given I was looking for a little less reach and a bit more height this looks to be the perfect solution for me as well.

I got some prices from my local Ducati dealer here in Thailand and was shocked at the prices of the Diavel Bars $290 and the 1200 clamps $110 for top and $110 for bottom. Total of $510 for bar and clamp seems a lot. For anyone in the US how does that compare. Are the prices here high or am I just a tight arse.

In the meantime I cut down the stock bars by 20mm each end which is a big improvement but I really do like that Diavel bar look.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.