Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still like my D16RR way more than my SL, and I bet over time the D16 will be worth more to collectors . Sounds great also. I probably should have bought a second D16 instead of the SL . I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still like my D16RR way more than my SL, and I bet over time the D16 will be worth more to collectors . Sounds great also. I probably should have bought a second D16 instead of the SL . I guess time will tell.
I have a D16RR and a SL also. I will agree with you that the Desmo will probably be the most desired bike in the future, not because it is a better bike but simply because the emotion created by a Moto GP replica for the public. With regard to the sound, performance, and confidence inspiring the SL is hands down the better of the bikes. With the Desmo I put on 8500 street riding miles, including a 2000 mile ride, put it on the track for track days and made 100 passes on the drag strip. It is an emotional tie to that machine. The SL, I have put 6000 miles of street riding including a 3896 mile ride, and on the drag strip. Have not had it out for a track day yet but have put a lot of miles in the twists. At 11,000 rpm the SL sound is beautiful, much sweeter than the Desmo, [lower rpm's I like the desmo GP exhaust note] it does nothing but create confidence in being able to ride it, light, flickable on command, seating position,extremely reliable, and when and if repairs may be needed it doesn't take an arm and a leg to get it done as well as parts are readily available. Engine rebuild for the Desmo is a cool $10,000.00. But you can bet I will do it when necessary as the emotional attachment to a Moto GP replica that I can ride may never occur again. I am glad I did not purchase another Desmo, it was my plan, until I checked out the SL. The SL is spectacular in every way. Lets face it, they are both awesome. We are lucky to have 1 of each so that we can compare / contrast. What a tough day when we have to decide, the Desmo or the SL today. LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
SL all day long for me, it is an absolute weapon.

Asked to describe them both the best way of summing it up is analog and digital.

Desmo is lumpy down low, much improved thanks to a PC and tune you really need to push it on. 16.5 rear and crap tyres don't help.

SL has split personality you can "behave" round town then just thrash it.

Above 7k rpm it is bonkers fast.

Amazing what a difference 6 years makes!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
...16.5 rear and crap tyres don't help.
16.5 is the MotoGP bike not the D16RR sold to the public, which has a 16" rear wheel (stock). Most of us have converted to 17" to improve tire choices, price and availability.

I can't speak about the SL.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both fantastic bikes, with so much character they should be illegal :lovebirds:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've never had the privilege of owning an SL, though I have certainly wanted to buy one. There was a stunning SL for sale for AUD$20,000 some months back.
I am fortunate, though, to have something perhaps just as special as a companion for my Desmo -- a Moto Guzzi Daytona RS. I've had the bike for 14 years (second owner) and love riding it. The bike oozes character, is temperamental and loves the open road. It has amazing agility in slow twisties and is not too shabby around a race track. Nice and low centre of gravity.
I've tried to keep it in excellent condition and I've been fortunate enough to have had the money to maintain it. It has cost me a small fortune over the years but I don't regret it.
Like the Desmo, the Guzzi will appreciate in value (they only made 308 Daytona RS models between 1997-98) and it's a keeper. Anyone else with a Guzzi?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Post-script. By SL, I was referring to a Super Light, not a Superleggera. I had the chance to buy one but at S$125,000 (about US$100,000) here in Singapore, that was just too rich for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts