Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.....

Received bike back from Coventry today......blue printing completed light weight fly wheel fitted and various other bits done....sticker kit fitted which looks awesome I can't understand why people don't apply it......

Shame I can't ride it.......I did warm it up nicely.....it feels loverly.....maybe tomorrow there will be a dry patch I can take it down the road.

JHP also supplied some pictures of the engine strip down / rebuild which ill post later.....

Very excited....

Rico.

·
Registered
459 Posts
sticker kit fitted which looks awesome I can't understand why people don't apply it...
Those guys in MotoGP get paid a LOT of money to put those stickers on their bikes to advertise those products. Nobody pays me to put stickers on my bike, so I don't.

I'll wear a Ducati t-shirt because I quite like the brand and it may facilitate meeting other like-minded motorcycling folks. But motor oil or cell phone carriers? Nope, not me.

To each his own.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Excellent pics. Many thanks for posting. Did the guys at Coventry estimate any increase in power after the blue-printing?
And just curious, are you happy to share the cost of all the work?
I'm with Apollo. I prefer a more understated look. The bike is so loud anyway that stickers could just make you a bigger target for some drivers, and cops.
Hope you get a chance to ride the bike soon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks....I've got some more pictures that I'll post.

I don't think they did a pre engine work dyno run...after the work it was just over 180bhp at the rear wheel, which Im very happy with, I'm sure there will be plenty of comment on that..!

With regard to costs I had a few other bits done while the bike was up there so I couldn't give an exact price on the engine work.....give them a ring if your interested.

I was going to leave the stickers.....but a few days before picking mine I up I saw a bike at Donington Park with stickers fitted which I thought looked the Dogs...!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well done mate.

Can't say there's anything shabby about 180 bhp at the rear wheel, especially for a bike that doesn't have all the electronic aids that the 2015 models have (1299, new RSV4, R1-M, Kawasaki H2R, Honda RC213V-S, and the revised BMW S1000RR).

Your bike must go like the clappers (when the winter ends). The Desmo set the standard for superbikes, despite the limited electronics -- 200 bhp claimed, no traction control, pure riding experience. That's why it will remain a classic. That and the limited production, stunning looks and incredible character. Nothing else like it.

Stickers is a personal thing. If I had a Desmo as a pure track bike, the stickers would be on the bike, no doubt. On public roads, no.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Love the parts pron pix. Yes, please, more.

"Blueprinting"... do you happen to know EXACTLY what was CHANGED? In other words, for example adjusting the weights of the piston/pins/rings to within some spec is part of blueprinting. But when they weighed each assembly, was any adjustment actually required?
Did the crank need balancing or was it good to go from the factory? And so forth...

Cheers!

·
Registered
459 Posts
No no, you seem to have misunderstood the question. I'm not asking about things they looked at or measured. I'm asking what, if anything at all, they found to DO to improve your engine to specification.

I would have thought that at the price these bikes sold, they would have left the factory with blueprinted motors. But then again, they WERE built on the production floor and not in the race shop. So I am curious.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I thought you might have already discussed it with them. I'm in Colorado. Sorry to trouble you.

In future forum exchanges with you, I'll endeavo(u)r to remember that you have a different understanding of what just one or two words capitalized mean than I do.

Please accept my apologies on both counts. Cheers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks again for the additional pics -- and the dyno chart, Slick. I bet your bike really does go like stink!
Mine only does 160 at the back wheel :-( Fast enough, though.
One possibly very silly question. But with such major engine work, I'm guessing you would also need to tweak the fuel map as well if you're running an after-market ECU like a Microtec?
Or no need?

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Hey Fogs... So, it depends if you are running the GP kit. These all have poor mid to low fuelling and need to be updated (unless already done so) by the map put together by JHP. When the GP kit first came out there were loads of complaints (mine was almost un-ridable) so Ducati send over their calibration kit to allow John access to the ECU to fix the map. Ducati then rolled this fix out / made it available to all GP kit owners. On top of that I installed a PC5 (that has support for V4 engines) had lambda sensors fitted close to the headers and this finished off the fuelling 100% so she runs absolutely sweet...

If you’re not running the GP kit I would suggest leaving the standard race ECU in place and fitting a PC5 to fine tune - should be good to go

Keep the updates coming sir - makes good reading ;-)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Mark! You guys are very lucky to have Ducati Coventry. Ducati Singapore is good, very attentive service, good mechanics. But they don't have a dyno and the only one I could find was nearby run by a local chap. He had a Dynojet dyno installed in a ship container (toasty!). I have the video!
The map is pretty good but not perfect.
I don't run the GP kit, alas. OEM race exhaust with Microtec M226 ECU. I wish I could ship the bike back to Australia to get the map fully sorted (or to Ducati Coventry!). I'm a big believer in riding it regularly and I don't get back to Australia often enough to park it there. I don't like bikes sitting unused for weeks or months at a time. Not good.
I'd love to know what Ducati Coventry charges for a full blue-printing strip-down and rebuild -- 3,000 pounds? More?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.