Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike out for the first time in 7wks, its currently winter where i am & been very wet. Noticed that the dash/control panel flashed on & off a few times while i was out :( Bike seemed to be running fine.
What could this be? Just a loose connection somewhere? Ive never removed the dash. What should i be looking for?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could be a lose connection or a short due to water ingress in a connector block. However, another option has to be the voltage regulator so I'd start with the easy job of checking the voltage reading on the dash before starting to disassemble the dash. The voltage shouldn't go much above 14.4 as the revs rise.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Could be a lose connection or a short due to water ingress in a connector block. However, another option has to be the voltage regulator so I'd start with the easy job of checking the voltage reading on the dash before starting to disassemble the dash. The voltage shouldn't go much above 14.4 as the revs rise.
This. 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
VR Almost certain and if you ride at night you will notice the headlights going out, happens when the bike is hot.
New reg from a 999 or aftermarket.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i'll take a look to see if it revs above 14.4V on the dash, if the dash display stays on long enough to be read... lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had my voltage regulator changed out about 5 weeks ago after having the same issue. It would only happen when the bike was warmed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
100 Posts
+1

I just started having the same symptoms.
:shitfan:
dash flickers; signals, lights go bye bye. Try this as a quick workaround and troubleshooting.

when the problem manifests, hit the flash to pass / high beam “momentary” on button. if the dash and lights come back, almost certainly V/R.

Mine happened to coincide with 7500 mile service, so I first picked up a battery with the service then test rode. I watched voltage as she warmed up and after I was at about 200F operating temp, the voltage started to creep up past 14.4 volts. First to 15, then climbing and at 15 and change the dash back light & signals went out. So the they gave me a replacement from a ‘warranty’ to get me home.

I picked up a mosfet FH20AA and Triumph loom
Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

There are probably other places who sell them too.

I had to make a bracket like described in this video.
see

The Triumph loom means no cutting, splicing; just plug and play.

I fired it up with the new V/R and it did not burst into flames. :yo:

I did get a lot of smoke but that was from wrapping the exhaust pipes. Hopefully, this will take care of the issue.

good luck !

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies. Finally got round to checking the dash today. Voltage is sitting @ 14.6V @ idle(~1500rpm). As i rev it, voltage rises to 14.8V @ 3000-4000rpm.

So is this most certainly the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a mosfet FH20AA and Triumph loom
Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

There are probably other places who sell them too.

I had to make a bracket like described in this video.

The Triumph loom means no cutting, splicing; just plug and play.

I fired it up with the new V/R and it did not burst into flames. :yo:
The VR aint cheap @ $109 + S&H. Will have to check if they will ship Intl to Aust. Did u get the Mosfet R/R Universal Adaptor Plate with it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The VR aint cheap @ $109 + S&H. Will have to check if they will ship Intl to Aust. Did u get the Mosfet R/R Universal Adaptor Plate with it?
Cheap is relative with a Ducati...

Yes I did get the bracket - Don’t. I couldn’t make it work no matter how I tried.

Make your own out of sheet metal like in the youtube video.

I used plate aluminum, it worked fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheap is relative with a Ducati...

Yes I did get the bracket - Don’t. I couldn’t make it work no matter how I tried.

Make your own out of sheet metal like in the youtube video.

I used plate aluminum, it worked fine.
True. Is there a way i can confirm that it is the VR before going down this track & ordering parts?
My bike seems to be running at 14.6V @ idle(1500rpm). It rises to 14.8V @ 3000-4000rpm.

As for the plate aluminium, what thickness plate did you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
YMMV but I started getting the fault light / code at voltage in the low 15’s.

If it’s rising as the bike gets hotter, you’re probably going to need one. It seems the 1198 units aren’t significantly different from the 1098 unit that was recalled. and all they did for the recall was a refreshed VR and a heat shield.

What’s really aggravating is that someone(s) at corporate made the decision to not only source an inferior part but when this became a problem and the earlier models were recalled they did it again and left the same part on the newer models knowing they will expire in an artificially short period.

The plate I used wasn’t very thick. Enough to hold the V/R in place. not quite bendable by hand, but close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts