Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all the 1098's have Data Aquisition and the only thing you are buying from Ducati for the Non-S is a 2 Mb flash memory? I guess what I am asking is if I have a USB flash card can I get the info. all the same from the bike or is there more to it (non-s version)?

Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
174 gbp for a flash card.. i was thinking there would have been more to it than that but i guess it makes sense for everything to already be there. I'm guessing your also paying for the software to read the info from the flash card as the info wont be stored on microsoft word or something obviously.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that it then, everything is there but the USB Mem. Stick and software?

Sounds like it would be easy to piece this one together. =]

Jason

·
Registered
161 Posts
Visitor Q said:
Do all the 1098's have Data Aquisition and the only thing you are buying from Ducati for the Non-S is a 2 Mb flash memory? I guess what I am asking is if I have a USB flash card can I get the info. all the same from the bike or is there more to it (non-s version)?

Jason
If I understand you right, you ask if you get the Info with any flash card...
No the one side has a Ducati specific and the other has the USB plug. You will need to get the Ducati "Stick" to be able to get the info. But other than the included stick there is no difference between the S and no S.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Desmo Duc said:
ya its pre wired, all you need is the DDA
Which is nothing more than a USB card reader correct?

Jason

·
Registered
161 Posts
Visitor Q said:
Which is nothing more than a USB card reader correct?

Jason
nope see my comment above.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Germany said:
If I understand you right, you ask if you get the Info with any flash card...
No the one side has a Ducati specific and the other has the USB plug. You will need to get the Ducati "Stick" to be able to get the info. But other than the included stick there is no difference between the S and no S.
Oh so you are saying where it plugs into the bike it is propriety and the other end is a regular USB connection for your computer? Hmmmm… If that is all I wonder if someone will just come up with some sorta adapter or something.

Jason

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yea, I think one end is a standard USB plug while the other end is Ducati specific connector. I'm certain it could most def be fabricated, but how the plug actually interfaces with the USB end would be somewhat of a slight mystery to us "hands on DIY folks" unless you happen to have an electrical / computer micro-engineering degree. Even then, with a boot-leg copy of the software, you would be taking a little bit of a risk in testing it out. After all it does in some mannor connect to the ECU.

IMO, it's a cool "bling gadget" that'll amaze you the few times you actually use it, and something you can gloat to about with your biker friends, but in no time it'll end up in back in it's box collecting dust and then up on eBay to help pay for the other more important accessories you're kicking yourself for not getting instead.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I work with a lot of bling bling high tech... It seems like DucatiGuy says, even if you get all the info about the way they put everything together, its still going to be a risk to get it going... Then again USB works on 5V... the most Bike electronic is 12V, also I heard somewhere that some parts on the bike are connected over the so called CAN-Bus which works on a different Voltage range... I wonder if maybe somebody will make like add on module like an Ignition Module or the PowerCommader, which you can actually plug into that connector... would be a pretty easy and time saving idea..

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DucatiGuy said:
Yea, I think one end is a standard USB plug while the other end is Ducati specific connector. I'm certain it could most def be fabricated, but how the plug actually interfaces with the USB end would be somewhat of a slight mystery to us "hands on DIY folks" unless you happen to have an electrical / computer micro-engineering degree. Even then, with a boot-leg copy of the software, you would be taking a little bit of a risk in testing it out. After all it does in some mannor connect to the ECU.

IMO, it's a cool "bling gadget" that'll amaze you the few times you actually use it, and something you can gloat to about with your biker friends, but in no time it'll end up in back in it's box collecting dust and then up on eBay to help pay for the other more important accessories you're kicking yourself for not getting instead.
Yeah, I agree... I think it would be something I would use once or twice, then not really care anymore. It's cool but not something I would really care about when riding. Still pretty cool but like you said, more to say to your friends guess what my bike can do.

Jason

·
Registered
134 Posts
The plug has 4 pins inside it where it connects to the bike, but I have no idea how it wires up to the USB end. The DDA is amusing to look at after a ride. I've been selecting a few stretches of road to get an idea of how I'm riding, but I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

The main bonus will be if you do track days. You'd be able to analyse your lap performance if you had a laptop handy - more useful than just laptimer.

If you could sync the printout to video, that would be even better!

·
Registered
15 Posts
He DuanneB,

Would you mind sending me a short dda file, so I can have a look at the software? We would like to use the datalogger for more functions, but first we need to have a look at the program. My bikes still at the dealer and won't be ready for a couple of weeks. thanks gostuart at hotmail dot com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts