Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went there two months ago with few of my friends. It was an 11 hour drive, for me to get there, but definitely worth it. Roads are amazing, views are spectacular and local people are very friendly to motorcycle crowd.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I went there two months ago with few of my friends. It was an 11 hour drive, for me to get there, but definitely worth it. Roads are amazing, views are spectacular and local people are very friendly to motorcycle crowd.
Did you ride on a weekday or weekend? I haven't been yet and it is about a 10 hour drive for me. I am dying to go but it would have to be over a weekend.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's a lot more traffic at the Deals Gap over the weekends,so at least for me it was more fun to ride there on a weekdays. But there is way more to see over there than the Deals Gap itself,which has many blind turns and very tight corners,so if you want to move at a decent pace,you have to work hard on a bike.
Cherohala Skyway ( which we took every morning to get to the Dragon) or Blue Ridge Parkway are just as fun. IMO there are no boring roads in that part of the country. We are making plans to go there again, mid October

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
traffic is really getting bad there! but there is so many nice roads to ride on down there! out of the 10 days i was there i only went to the gap 2 times! I have been going down for the last 15 years and it never gets boring go down to that area! Deals Gap was way more fun when there was less traffic! I guess we can blame that on the internet!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I live about 40 minutes away and been visiting the Dragons Tail (Deals Gap) since '91.
Anyone heading up that way send me a PM and if I have a heads up a couple weeks ahead I'll find the time to give you'all a tour.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been there twice in the last 2 years. Definitely a bucket list road but honestly I had more fun and went faster on my dad's supermotarded 610 Husky than on my 848. It's crazy tight, a roller coaster on pavement with banked corners. Youtube and pictures don't do justice for it. My favorite road in that area is 28 "Moonshiner" out of the south end of the gap just past the Deal's Gap resort. This is the road for the 848. Cherahola and Blue Ridge are very good and scenic too, but watch out for the cops/park patrol on those roads. Can't go wrong with any of the smooth, twisty asphalt in the Deal's Gap area.

·
Registered
310 Posts
There's a lot more traffic at the Deals Gap over the weekends,so at least for me it was more fun to ride there on a weekdays. But there is way more to see over there than the Deals Gap itself,which has many blind turns and very tight corners,so if you want to move at a decent pace,you have to work hard on a bike.
Cherohala Skyway ( which we took every morning to get to the Dragon) or Blue Ridge Parkway are just as fun. IMO there are no boring roads in that part of the country. We are making plans to go there again, mid October
Thanks for the info, definitely will help with my planning on when to go up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
traffic is really getting bad there! but there is so many nice roads to ride on down there! out of the 10 days i was there i only went to the gap 2 times! I have been going down for the last 15 years and it never gets boring go down to that area! Deals Gap was way more fun when there was less traffic! I guess we can blame that on the internet!
Sincerely appreciate the tips. I have a buddy that goes up very often and will hit hi up to see if he has been off the beaten path.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I live about 40 minutes away and been visiting the Dragons Tail (Deals Gap) since '91.
Anyone heading up that way send me a PM and if I have a heads up a couple weeks ahead I'll find the time to give you'all a tour.
Right on man. Not sure if I will be heading up with veteran visitors yet but definitely good to know we have a brother in the area.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been there twice in the last 2 years. Definitely a bucket list road but honestly I had more fun and went faster on my dad's supermotarded 610 Husky than on my 848. It's crazy tight, a roller coaster on pavement with banked corners. Youtube and pictures don't do justice for it. My favorite road in that area is 28 "Moonshiner" out of the south end of the gap just past the Deal's Gap resort. This is the road for the 848. Cherahola and Blue Ridge are very good and scenic too, but watch out for the cops/park patrol on those roads. Can't go wrong with any of the smooth, twisty asphalt in the Deal's Gap area.

Someone told that they do speed and lane/line enforcement with cameras, do you know if this is true?

·
Registered
26 Posts
One of the days there was a cop in a Tahoe at one of the pull-offs on the road on the Dragon. From what I've heard, they enforce the lane/line enforcement 100% of the time with tickets. A local told me they don't enforce the speed limit near as much as lane enforcement. Which I like, because they realize people are there to have fun on the roads but you MUST stay in your lane. Too many blind corners. I'm pretty sure there are no cameras, other than Killboy and Mooonshine Photos and others that post pics of you that you can buy on their websites.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One of the days there was a cop in a Tahoe at one of the pull-offs on the road on the Dragon. From what I've heard, they enforce the lane/line enforcement 100% of the time with tickets. A local told me they don't enforce the speed limit near as much as lane enforcement. Which I like, because they realize people are there to have fun on the roads but you MUST stay in your lane. Too many blind corners. I'm pretty sure there are no cameras, other than Killboy and Mooonshine Photos and others that post pics of you that you can buy on their websites.
good intel for sure. I have a 40' toy hauler that i may tow up and camp and ride for a week.

Any idea what the latest time of the year you can get tehre and still have decent temps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
good intel for sure. I have a 40' toy hauler that i may tow up and camp and ride for a week.

Any idea what the latest time of the year you can get tehre and still have decent temps?
I went in early May and late October to avoid the summer traffic. Both trips were perfect with highs in the mid 70's. Some days we had to wait for it to warm up and let the fog clear off, it got down into the low 40's at night. Upper elevations on the Blue Ridge and Cherahola were in the low 50's but tolerable. The problem with the fall is that there's still a lot of traffic with people checking out the fall colors. One of NC's finest pulled us over on the Cherahola for speeding and reminded us that people are out looking at the trees and not paying as much attention to the road, and we better watch our speed. Got chewed out pretty good, but got away with a warning.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Never been busted for speeding on my bike yet, knock on wood, but never got a warning when pulled in my car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Someone told that they do speed and lane/line enforcement with cameras, do you know if this is true?
Certainly do enforcement but never saw any cameras --- radar sometimes, but with limited line-of-sight you usually get tipped off by riders coming in your direction long before LEO can get a radar blip on you - Double yellow line crossing is a for sure ticket, going a little over the 30mph limit isn't usually a ticket unless you are going crazy fast or riding like a total @ss -

1 - 19 of 19 Posts