Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the grey/black swingarm and the shallow/deep sump seem to be the two big variables. Can anyone confirm my understanding of the interchangeability? Here's what I believe to be true, but I'm looking for confirmation:

03/04 systems can only be used for 03/04 bikes; 05/06/07 systems can only be used with 05/06/07 bikes (this is due to the swingarm). Within 03/04 systems, deep sump systems can be used on shallow sump bikes, but shallow sump systems can not be used on deep sump bikes. Within 05/06/07 systems, deep sump systems can be used on shallow sump bikes, but shallow sump systems cannot be used on deep sump bikes.

This would mean, for instance, that a 2005 749r system (deep sump) would work on both a 2005 999 and a 2005 749, correct?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you have an 05 999, you can only use 05/06 components.

The 03/04's have all sorts of oddities, random changes to individual models which confuse things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my understanding too -- but the big question then is whether or not a deep-sump system, say from a 2005 999, can be used on a shallow-sump 2005 749?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's my understanding too -- but the big question then is whether or not a deep-sump system, say from a 2005 999, can be used on a shallow-sump 2005 749?
It is my understanding from what I've read that a deep sump system CAN NOT be used on a shallow sump motor without some significant modifications. Go on Ducati.ms and ask COP TZR, he's modified an deep sump system to fit a shallow sump I believe.

Either way, it's NOT a bolt-on affair, this much I know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, well not what I was hoping for but I'm glad I know. So for my 06 749s I have to find a system for only a 05/06 749/749s.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying that because you're assuming my 749s is deep sump? Because it's not, it's shallow sump.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, the 749's were all shallow sump outside of the R model. But the 999's were deep sump in 05/06.

You can't use a 999 exhaust on a 749 anyway, it's too large of a diameter. The deep sump motors have a cut out for the exhaust which is shallower then the shallow sump engines, so the exhausts are totally incompatible. Unfortunately if you have a 749, you have to use a 749 exhaust on it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone tell from looking at this exhaust if this is for the 05-06 749? Seller says it wouldn't fit his 04 749, but that leaves it in the air if it didn't fit because of the swingarm difference or because this system is for deep sump.
Termignoni Ducati 749/999 Exhaust | eBay

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
That exhaust system is missing the rear and front cylinder headers. Strange…

·
Registered
242 Posts
Let me chime in with my recent experience.

I have a 2004 999s which came from factory with a deep sump motor. It was also equipped with the grey cast swingarm and had a termignoni 54mm slip on system without cat on the front pipe.

Now, I just upgraded my swingarm to the '05/'06 black aluminum type and that exhaust I had was hitting the bottom side of my swingarm where the recess is for the exhaust to sweep upwards behind the rearset. It was too short and didnt have the correct angle to clear the swingarm. The motor area was fine for clearance.

I sourced another Termignoni catless front pipe from an '05-'06 999 with deep sump motor from a fellow forum member here, and that exhaust fit perfectly! Comparing my old pipes and replacement, the newer one has an extra bend in the pipe to sweep up behind the swingarm to clear its lower depth.

And i believe exhausts from 749 and 999 are interchangeable, but not 100%. I would compare part numbers to really be sure.

If you need my old exhaust, its available.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That exhaust system is missing the rear and front cylinder headers. Strange…
Well it's the "slip-on"/"half system"/"asymmetric 50mm system"/am I missing any other nicknames for it? So I assume that it's just designed to use the stock headers.

I've decided this is my preferred system for the 749s as it's already so relatively weak in the midrange, going to a bigger flowing exhaust will likely just crush the midrange even more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me chime in with my recent experience.

I have a 2004 999s which came from factory with a deep sump motor. It was also equipped with the grey cast swingarm and had a termignoni 54mm slip on system without cat on the front pipe.

Now, I just upgraded my swingarm to the '05/'06 black aluminum type and that exhaust I had was hitting the bottom side of my swingarm where the recess is for the exhaust to sweep upwards behind the rearset. It was too short and didnt have the correct angle to clear the swingarm. The motor area was fine for clearance.

I sourced another Termignoni catless front pipe from an '05-'06 999 with deep sump motor from a fellow forum member here, and that exhaust fit perfectly! Comparing my old pipes and replacement, the newer one has an extra bend in the pipe to sweep up behind the swingarm to clear its lower depth.

And i believe exhausts from 749 and 999 are interchangeable, but not 100%. I would compare part numbers to really be sure.

If you need my old exhaust, its available.
Thanks for the offer man -- so you have an exhaust set-up available that would work with a 2006 749s? (shallow sump, new black swinger).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well it's the "slip-on"/"half system"/"asymmetric 50mm system"/am I missing any other nicknames for it? So I assume that it's just designed to use the stock headers.

I've decided this is my preferred system for the 749s as it's already so relatively weak in the midrange, going to a bigger flowing exhaust will likely just crush the midrange even more.
Ahh got ya. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So the million dollar question, of the day anyways, is will my 05 999 Termi "half system" fit my 06 749s? This thread would lead me to believe that it won't fit, but maybe the incompatibility we're talking about is for the full systems only? And the cat-less horizontal pipe of the half system is compatible for both deep sumps and shallow sumps? Every half system I've ever seen for sale lists it as compatible with both 749 and 999. And considering the half system is really what I want to put on the 749s anyways, I could just make the swap and find a nice 54mm Termi system or a Zard system for my 999 and everyone wins...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the offer man -- so you have an exhaust set-up available that would work with a 2006 749s? (shallow sump, new black swinger).
Well I don't think it will work for you. When I upgraded to the black swingarm, I had clearance issues. It will definitely work with the grey cast swingarm. This is the catless half system and its ceramic coated black.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I don't think it will work for you. When I upgraded to the black swingarm, I had clearance issues. It will definitely work with the grey cast swingarm. This is the catless half system and its ceramic coated black.
So with the half-system the swingarm is the only issue? I would love to move my half system off my 05 999 onto my 06 749s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Termi half system won't pass AMP soundcheck, been there, done that, if you care. :)

Yea, the 749's were all shallow sump outside of the R model. But the 999's were deep sump in 05/06.

You can't use a 999 exhaust on a 749 anyway, it's too large of a diameter. The deep sump motors have a cut out for the exhaust which is shallower then the shallow sump engines, so the exhausts are totally incompatible. Unfortunately if you have a 749, you have to use a 749 exhaust on it.
The horizontal pipe is the same part number for all of the 749s and the shallow sump 999s... so you can run an early 999 exhaust on a 749/S, at least. The 749R runs the same horizontal pipe as the deep sump 999/S/R. What this basically says is that the oil sump is the defining difference between exhausts, not 749 vs 999, in terms of fitting the motor. I don't know how it is in reality, but swingarm doesn't come in to the equation for stock exhausts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.