Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Got an email from my dealer just this morning ...

"We have received notification that the first monster R bikes are arriving in the country so we anticipate around months end—as soon as I get a vin confirmation I will forward you over the details."

Pjk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the email from my dealer, the R will be in sometime next week. Looking at getting the Termi exhaust while its there. 50+ days til I leave this armpit of the earth and get some riding in.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've got about 60 miles on it and so far it runs better and handles better than the '08 S4R-S I traded for it.

One weird down-side is that the steering damper almost looks like an afterthought. If you have big hands it is difficult to insert the key and turn it. I have small hands so it's not a big deal. And if I turn the forks all the way to the right the rod will just hit the small fairing. I'm going to try loosening the four hex screws that hold the fairing in place an see if I can move it forward just a little. 1/16th of an inch will do it. If you are getting one, check this.

And neutral is a bear to find. From 2nd it pops into 1st, from 1st it pops into 2nd. Hopefully this will become easier.

I kept the original exhaust since I liked the way it looks vs. photos of the bike with termis, but it still sounds good. I've been keeping it under 6k until the 600 mile service. And the TFT display is great. I can tell at a glance what's going on and I particularly like having a gear indicator. Naturally in direct sunlight it looks faded but otherwise it's very readable. Controls are easy to use, all basically on the left bar end.

I just got on it and took off. It's a very ride-able bike which seems heavy when maneuvering it out of the garage, but once underway it seems much lighter. It has a very comfortable riding position. If the weather co-operates this weekend I want to take it on a longer ride.

Pjk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got about 60 miles on it and so far it runs better and handles better than the '08 S4R-S I traded for it.

One weird down-side is that the steering damper almost looks like an afterthought. If you have big hands it is difficult to insert the key and turn it. I have small hands so it's not a big deal. And if I turn the forks all the way to the right the rod will just hit the small fairing. I'm going to try loosening the four hex screws that hold the fairing in place an see if I can move it forward just a little. 1/16th of an inch will do it. If you are getting one, check this.

And neutral is a bear to find. From 2nd it pops into 1st, from 1st it pops into 2nd. Hopefully this will become easier.

I kept the original exhaust since I liked the way it looks vs. photos of the bike with termis, but it still sounds good. I've been keeping it under 6k until the 600 mile service. And the TFT display is great. I can tell at a glance what's going on and I particularly like having a gear indicator. Naturally in direct sunlight it looks faded but otherwise it's very readable. Controls are easy to use, all basically on the left bar end.

I just got on it and took off. It's a very ride-able bike which seems heavy when maneuvering it out of the garage, but once underway it seems much lighter. It has a very comfortable riding position. If the weather co-operates this weekend I want to take it on a longer ride.

Pjk
I've got 600 miles on my 1200R which was a trade up from a 1200S that I had for a couple of years and several thousand miles. My favorite bike ever. Agree with your assessment-I keep over-turning if that's a thing. The higher center of gravity and the lighter wheels play a big part in that I think. The neutral problem goes away in a couple hundred miles. It's just a break in thing with Ducati gearboxes (and probably others as well, i've only had Ducatis new). Seat's harder, which I like. Steering damper works as it should, but agree with someone elses comment that it's in the way. Display is better. Haven't gotten to use the extra horsepower yet, but break in is over! I'll be putting termis on when they're available. Should be now. Track day in a week, can't wait to see how it does. The foot position is almost worth the upgrade by itself. My heels are finally where they should be after two years of sticking out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.