Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been both road & race with my bike but was wondering of those on here who has taken the plunge and decided to track only their bike. With that comes the obvious...

Pro's

- Nothing like riding the thing on circuit as after all it's first and foremost designed for it...

- Errrrr actually that’s it - once you've got the thing setup, and I mean properly setup nothing I've ridden comes close. :D

- Valve issues. My understanding (stand to be corrected) is that they don’t like being ambled about town 1/4 or half throttle and expensive valve carbon issues have arisen due to this - another excuse to ride solely on track.

- THE NOISE... On full open / non Silenced pipes Oooooo the noise...

Cons:

- If / when you drop it it can become expensive.
- These bikes are now being seen as collector’s items and with future values in mind should spend less time on track.

- Difficult to ride fast??? I'll put this in just to close the argument. I don’t see this as a con as (as above) if properly setup (suspension changed as well setup + the usual other track prep) and given time to dial in I've been as quick on my Desmo as I have anything else - sometimes quicker even...

So - throwing this one out for general review to see how many owners are made of the brave stuff! :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
MarkT has one as a dedicated track bike.

I'm working on building one as a dedicated track bike. Right now it's in pieces.

I had similar questions. http://www.ducati.org/forums/desmosedici-rr/59917-track-bike.html

I think one of the CONs is that modern superbikes have equaled or surpassed the Desmosedici in performance, sophistication and ease of riding. Modern electronic packages have made them both faster and safer. As a track bike, that's not a big deal - just enjoy riding what your own. But if you're going to race, the latest generation Yamaha, BMW, Ducati Panigale and Aprilia are excellent platforms.

I pursued the Desmo as a track bike because I wanted to try out the closest I could get to a Grand Prix bike on the track. That said, if I had the dosh, I'd be negotiating a way to bring this over to the States: Featured Listing: 1997 Honda NSR500V2 for Sale | Rare SportBikes For Sale

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mark,

As you know i have spent a lot of time preparing my bike for the track.

I have a ZX10 which is modified in all areas for track use, I've been riding it at Donington Park today and it never misses a beat, its done just shy of 10,000 miles on track..! (with a couple of refreshes)

I'm not giving up on the Desmo, I have got some new rims on the way so I can put some better rubber on, I have heard the front stock tyre makes the bike feel heavy whilst turning, I don't now how true this is.....will find out soon.

When riding the bike I struggle with downshifting, I have fitted a sigma slipper clutch which has helped, on my zx10 I can get from 6 to 2 very fast and the bike remains stable, on the Desmo theres loads going on at this point and thats before I've started turning the bike......Is there a gear shift indicator on the dash.....I can't seem to find one....?

Another area I struggle with is slow corners....hair pins....the bike just seems to die on me mid turn.....

I was at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago and there were two D16's there......one overtook me into Abby.....very confidently so I know the bike is clearly capable of being ridden properly.....just not by me currently. Just to add to that they both got kicked off for tripping noise limit ride by......

I am also conscious.....not of crashing the bike.....but putting miles on......track miles are easily racked up.....and I'm nicely down at 1500 currently.

This all sounds quite negative.....but....through sweeping fast corners the bike handles really well.....the fuelling is beautiful and consistent all the way to the top and exiting corners rolling on the gas with 205 bhp its fast.....quick shifter works well.....the bike is so stable accelerating...more so than my zx10....it seems its the slower corners I'm struggling with.....maybe there is some suspension work that might help......

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mark-

That is a hard question. Since you use yours on the street and on the track I am sure you have a strong opinion where this bike gives you the most pleasure. If you like the bike on both the track and the street and that has been working for you- why the need to make a decision?

I am a bad one to give advice about making your D16 a dedicated track bike.

Before I bought a street D16, I was able to pick up a salvaged D16rr early on when salvage bikes were not stupid money and you could still find parts- so my situation is different then yours.

I bought my salvaged D16 specifically to make it a dedicated track bike. I have always built and owned dedicated track bikes so that was my focus for the bike. I loved the D16 on the track so much that I bought a street D16. Track-Street–-two, way different ridding experiences on these bikes.

I very much prefer the D16 on the track. All the nagging little items like engine heat, brick like stiffness, pathetic gas mileage that I notice on the street all goes away on the track. As you know this bike rocks on the track because you can get it up to a speed where it likes to be. I am on my fifth year of tracking it and I am addicted. I enjoy a D16 on the street because it gives me sparks that my other street bikes cannot provide- but for me- hands down this is a track bike.

If I had not found a salvaged D16 I would have done as you have - used my D16 on the track and on the street but in the end I feel it would have ended as a dedicated track bike. But I would have kept looking for a salvaged D16.

For members who have not ridden this bike on the track (I know you have Mark so you already know this) I agree with RMC that this bike loves-I mean really loves- railing through high speed turns than going through slower turns. I have not experienced the bike "die" on me in slow turns. But-without a doubt-the faster you go the more the bike communicates with you so on slower turns you just trust it and it picks back up on throttle beautifully. On slower turns I come in fast and trail brake - then try to keep from spinning up the rear. I have it set up the way I like it and at 175 pounds the stock suspension along with 17" Ntec slicks works for me. I am now much faster on it then on any of my dedicated track bikes over the last 20 years. It did take me two years to change my riding style enough to ride fast enough for the bike to become addictively fun.

RMC-I believe that with a bit more tweaks on your geometry or clicks you will start hitting the slower corners much harder and the D16 will feel much better.

I cannot say it enough--It is a real hoot to ride fast.

My track bike burns almost no oil -and I never have to bleed the clutch like I have to do every ride on my street D16. It runs great even though I have thrashed it for almost five years of track days. I am more worried about my street D16 needing work before my track D16 does due to street riding- even up here in the mountains.

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents...

So... To cover the miles, I don’t care about that as I've already done 5000+ 70% of which is on track. For me it's really enjoying the bike and I guess minimising risk.

Mark - I can wholeheartedly back up your view of maximum enjoyment is on track. I'm lucky enough to have done Mugello 4 times now (where it was developed) and OMG - I find myself whooping in my lid for half the lap sometimes.

I have had an amazing Superstock Panigale built for me and while it's VERY quick and handles fantastic - it just doesn’t give me the fizz of the big V4. Just came back from Jerez and while a good trip, I was missing the Desmo fix. I've also spend a fair amount of cash returning the bike back to completely stock spec and using it for those sunny Sunday runs out - but on reflection, what a waste!!!! :( I could buy a nice S4RS (had one and loved it) for that...

Maybe I'm answering my own question here.

As for handling - I've had mine since 2008 and so spent years chipping away to get rid of those issues, I can advise...

1. Swap the tyres for a more aggressive profile - nTec's are amazing but not cheap. Grip is otherworldly and they last ages (at least a day :D)
2a. Get the suspension 'internals' swapped out for you personally. Any Ohlinns tech can do this.
2b. Once swapped out the get the bike baselined for your height and weight.
2c. Once both the above are done - experiment with settings. Now we are getting in to the detail... For me I wanted a bit more turn in so raised the ride height 5mm at the rear (play with the flex circuit by circuit) and then I had a brilliant base setting.

These bikes are more towards 'fast to the apex, point, stand up ASAP and squirt' than Lorenzo / 250 high mid corner speed. It's just about making the bike as compliant as possible through that process.

Thanks for the chat chaps - more of a reflective moment for me, maybe I should take a note out of your book Mark and buy another one!!!! :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's the highest top speed any of you have seen on your D16 on the track (or road)? Mugello has a long straight ...
I could be a SA and say I do not know because the speedo flat lines at 180 mph but in truth I never really look at the instruments. It is a habit from only having a tach and a water temp gage on my track bikes. I just listen to the sound of the motor-and look far down the track. The one time I did look at the speedo on a nice-but not a really long straight-I saw 175 mph. My brake marker was coming up so I did not take another speed check before I applied the brakes. From the sound of the motor there was still another 10-15 left in the tank.

That was five years ago and I have not looked at the speedo since- even on longer straights- too busy keeping my head down.

Not sure how accurate the D16 speedo is.

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's the highest top speed any of you have seen on your D16 on the track (or road)? Mugello has a long straight ...
OK, wasn’t a great lap time (can allow the odd bad one :D) but this was the GPS recorded speed at Mugello last year. What amazes me about these things is the way they pick up speed! We are not talking about a slow wind up of power on a long run way but fast acceleration to max in 6th followed by manic breaking for a second gear corner - all within about a 1 Kilometre.

Oh and all over a blind crest lol

Best fun you can have with your clothes on / or off lol)... :smoking:

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mugello Straight....

OK, wasn’t a great lap time (can allow the odd bad one :D) but this was the GPS recorded speed at Mugello last year. What amazes me about these things is the way they pick up speed! We are not talking about a slow wind up of power on a long run way but fast acceleration to max in 6th followed by manic breaking for a second gear corner - all within about a 1 Kilometre.

Dont forget gearing also plays a part.......my GPS timer on my ZX10 read 181 mph down that straight.....:D:D:D good fun breaking at the 200 marker.....:kaioken::kaioken::kaioken:

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gearing has nothing to do with GPS recorded speed. Gearing will only mess with your bikes speedo. GPS highly accurate, measured outside of gearing and is just a measure of pure speed...

·
Registered
258 Posts

I am envious. I have never had the pleasure- only watched videos of bikes and cars running that track. How fast are you going off of turn 14 when you get onto the straight?

I fully agree about how fast you can get up to the top of sixth gear- especially if you grab a full handful of throttle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.