Ducati.org forum banner

Did you service the engine of your Ducati ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, never.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, everyone. I apologize in advance for my English , I am from Russia and we have big problems with the ducati service
My motorcycle is a streetfighter 848 I love it and want to keep it in good condition and fully serviced
But the nearest official service is 1000 miles from my city and the problem is big...
The mileage on my motorcycle is 6200 miles
Motorcycle of the year 2014
In general, the motorcycle was used in urban mode, it was not on the track
Tell me what service I NEED to do and on what mileage ?
Can I drive with only oil and filters changed up to 20,000 miles ? What are the consequences if you do not do desmo service and valve adjustment?

·
Registered
S4
29 Posts
With low milage the valve clearances shouldn't? be a problem but I would consider having a look at the timing belts to check their condition.
Worst case scenario if some thing goes wrong is valves dig into the pistons and bend plus broken pistons, maybe broken heads as well.
The belts are the critical part at the milage you have.
Really they should be OK but when a duc doesn't get started regularly the belts can loose tension or deteriorate and your cold climate won't help them in this case.
I'd try to pull the belt covers off and check them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here's the thing...if you run it without service your going to either become poor or the Ducati service technician in your area...lol...you will either learn how to rebuild a desmo motor or just the valve adjustment...in any case...do you want to learn how to do it on the bike or on the bench?....one might be easier but I assure you it's more costly...when the valves are out of spec they are open when they should be closed...they over heat and horrible things ensue....the adjustment is way over hyped as being hard...sure there's a learning curve and it took me a few tries to really get it right...but it's far from impossible...and if you can change the belts...your nearly half way there already....besides the piece of mind you gain by doing it is priceless...you immediately go to riding a motorcycle again rather than some ticking expensive bomb....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With low milage the valve clearances shouldn't? be a problem but I would consider having a look at the timing belts to check their condition.
Worst case scenario if some thing goes wrong is valves dig into the pistons and bend plus broken pistons, maybe broken heads as well.
The belts are the critical part at the milage you have.
Really they should be OK but when a duc doesn't get started regularly the belts can loose tension or deteriorate and your cold climate won't help them in this case.
I'd try to pull the belt covers off and check them.
okay man, thanks for answer I will try to find Ducati service....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had belts only done on my 999, last year. Cost was parts, 1 hr labor, and tax. Well worth the $250.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got and 848...my personal opinion....save money...oil and filter...easily done on your own...timing belts aren't bad...videos on you tube...just have to mark the old belts with corresponding cam "teeth" for reference when applying new belt....15000 miles for valves....which require more tear down of the bike. You need to know you may be down for a bit...a good winter project. You will also be measuring down to the thousands ...so you must research and educate yourself but again...not that bad...you will get some satisfaction from working on your bike!...good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts