Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum so apologies if this has been asked before. But I was wondering if any knew whether for Ducati diavel wheel would fit on the 848 eco without too much modification? Or at least something that can be done at home?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 1st thought is the 848 is a small hub bike and I strongly suspect the Diavel is of the larger hub variety so that would be a no go or require a swingarm/hub swap (possibly 1098/1198 arm/hub) and next thought is how wide is the Diavel wheel? will it and tyre rub a 1098/1198 swingarm (since it wont fit an 848 arm).

·
Registered
310 Posts
My 1st thought is the 848 is a small hub bike and I strongly suspect the Diavel is of the larger hub variety so that would be a no go or require a swingarm/hub swap (possibly 1098/1198 arm/hub) and next thought is how wide is the Diavel wheel? will it and tyre rub a 1098/1198 swingarm (since it wont fit an 848 arm).
Yeah, not only is the Diavel a big hub, and the 848 a small hub - which can be resolved by getting the hub-eccentric from a 1098/1198, but the bigger problem is that the Diavel rear wheel is 8" wheel - 8 inches wide. The 848 is 5.5" - so It's not going to fit in the swingarm.

So now your choice is find a donor swingarm from a Diavel, make buddies with a machinist and see if you can get it to fit, which would include finding a way to align rear sprocket with the front, which, and I don't know, may require frame modifications, or else your rear wheel will have to sit about 2-inches off center, and then you'll wonder why your 848 handles like crap. Well, even if you get everything to line up, you'll still end up with a bike that handles like crap.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the shock linkage from the Diavel swingarm will also be different. The Diavel shock mounts horizontally on the left side of the bike. The 848 in centered and vertical. So you'll need to not only find a way to mount the shock, you'll also need to figure out what the new shock linkage rates are, then have a shock custom valved and sprung, and maybe, just maybe you'll have something that you could park in front of the coffee shop, but it wouldn't be anything I'd want to ride.

So maybe your best bet would to get your new machinist buddy to build you a custom swingarm...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts