Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi eveyone,
i have been trolling n here for a while now and really appreciate all the info thats here. thanks so much...

heres my issue, i decided to attempt the valve check myself after buying my 1098 this past fall. it has 23k on it and the person i bought it off of informed me that the valves were done by the previous owner approximately 800 miles ago. i figured i would open it up and at least check the clearances and see how legit his claim was.

anyway i got the bike all opened up and was attempting to turn the engine to get the vertical cylinder to TDC. it turned very easily at first then it just stopped. i was turning it by putting it in gear and turning the back wheel.

did i screw something up?

thanks

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Have you pulled the spark plugs?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Buy a cheap engine Turning tool

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Does the engine turning tool simply allow you to apply more torque to turn the engine than turning the back wheel?
You can turn by the rear wheel, but you can easily get stuck at BDC/TDC if you don't turn it fast enough. Then you've gotta put the bike back on the ground and push it forward/backwards until it gets past that hiccup. You can also try a higher gear, that will help you get more leverage.

The crank turning tool is invaluable because it's very difficult to use the rear wheel in order to line up two dots on the timing lay shaft. It's a lot of back and forward and it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
438 Posts
People have been doing it that way with the rear tire in high gear or bumping the kicker arm for years on HD's
I learned that when building panheads over 15 years ago.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe.

roll the rear wheel until it's in gear/ not moving. Then shift up to the next gear. then roll the rear wheel till it's in gear repeat till 6th.

I kind of agree that the tool makes it easier to find TDC. But it can be done and has been with out the tool for many years.

I wouldn't personalty do anything with out the manual though. Beside fluids changes and such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks i will go try that. I agree on the manual. i have read the valve check/adjustment section numerous times, as well as every tthread i can find on it, plus the instructions on ducati tool rental. i feel comfortable with understanding what i need to do i just dont have a feel for everything and the last thing i want to do is cause harm while im trying to do preventative maintenance.

thanks again everyone

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Hey look, someone else that's trying to do the same thing as me! I haven't started yet, I was just talking to Tchase regarding the turning tool. When I checked my belts, I just put it in 5th or 6th gear and turned the wheel (didn't even remove spark plugs). I didn't need to be too precise in that though, so I would go by what these guys are saying in that it's probably easier to be accurate with the turning tool.

Tchase are you sure that's the right tool? Doesn't say on there that it fits 848/1098/1198...looks like it's for the older models plus some others...unless it's all the same and they haven't updated that list.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Oh never mind...just saw now that it says "All Ducatis until 2011".

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Oh never mind...just saw now that it says "All Ducatis until 2011".
for the tool? Mine is a 2012 worked fine.

if you click bike specific "under the 1198"
http://www.motomfg.com/1098_s/32.htm

Hypermotard
All Multistrada
All Monsters
All Supersports
Sport classic
All Ducati's 1990-2011

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sure there are guys here with a lot more ducati experience than me. Bike is an 1198. Never owned or worked on a ducati before. I've done the valves twice and belts once, but worked a lot on Japanese bikes. Buy the engine turning tool, or it comes in the kit from ducati tool rental (I'm in Australia so not used him, but everyone is 100% positive about him). Ducati manual is not user friendly. LT's book IS user friendly.
I never noticed what you are talking about, but I only use the tool.
I'm sure there's some really good posts about it, but as a newbie the things I found were:
make your own alignment marks/notes/photos
for piece of mind plug the oil return holes in the head while you're working on that cylinder (those half rings can have a mind of their own)
I stopped using the cam locking tool on the vertical cylinder. I found it much easier to align and hold the intake cam just by hand (when putting the belt back on). Might not be the same for you tho.
But most importantly, DON'T RUSH IT.
There is the odd guy who is a bit crazy, but most here seem willing to answer questions, and I as a newbie, did and do appreciate their help.
So if you have read up on it, are clear in your mind about what to do in each step, go for it!
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts