Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, on one hand, I have a 1098 standard Red coming in two weeks. On the other hand, I have a 1098s that I can have right now, well by this weekend.

I tried to cancel the 1098 standard, but they will not refund the deposit.

My question is what should I do? I was thinking of buying both and sell the standard for the same price that I purchased it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Unless you are doing a lot of tracking I wouldnt bother wtih the S. I mean the extra suspension bits are nice but the motor is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ravel said:
So where's the dilema? How can you lose?
It's that I do not want to get stuck with 2 bikes. or sell one at a huge lose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
If you are planning on upgrading your standard with exhaust, suspension, wheels and the DDA then sure, I'd go ahead and get the "S". However, is it really worth it? Besides, your standard will be here within the next couple of weeks. Save your money! But, they should refund your $500 if you ask....that's some BS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I agree, the deposit is refundable. The point is to hold your place in line.

But I would also stay with the standard version. When I ordered mine, I couldn't justify the extra $5k for a suspension I would never fully utilize, and wheels that are slightly lighter. Also, in one of the reviews I read, the journalist mentioned the Ohlins setup was a lot harder to ride with until you do a custom set up. The standard Showa components are perfect for street riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that is what I was thinking about the S. I do not really need it. I guess I am eager to get the da** bike 1098!!! Maybe I'll go buy a lotto ticket tonight and if I win, my problem would be solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dp1098 said:
If you are planning on upgrading your standard with exhaust, suspension, wheels and the DDA then sure, I'd go ahead and get the "S". However, is it really worth it? Besides, your standard will be here within the next couple of weeks. Save your money! But, they should refund your $500 if you ask....that's some BS!
I am upgrading my exhaust, but that is all I am thinking of doing. Oh yeah, maybe the Slave Cylinder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm.. Sadly to say that, I have decided to not to go with S which I can be riding this weekend. I just can not justify the $5K. Even if I do track days. If I doubt that I will be experienced enough to notice the suspension. If or by the time I get good enough to notice, maybe a 1198 will be out by then.
 
G

·
Call the credit card company and demand a reversal in the charge an explain that it was a deposit, and never put into writing that it was non-refundable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Just wait a bit!

But this dealership is a bit shady not refunding you your deposit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
My deposit is non refundable, i was told that up front. if i chose not to take the 1098 ( like that would ever happen) the dealer would either give it to me a store credit or towards another bike. If they wont give you your money back, ask if you can use it to buy some accessories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
I suppose it really depends of the dealer. My dealer said he ususally doesn't refund the deposit, but on the 1098 he would. He said so knowing that if someone was to change their mind, the next person would quickly snap it up. However, when selling his Jap bikes, the deposit was firm. I suppose if those were selling like hot-cakes too he would do the same thing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I called a Ducati dealership in the Northeast who wanted a $1000 non-refundabale deposit. I passed on that deal, but the third question I asked two subsequent dealers is the deposit refundable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
i think the S bike would have been the way to go b/c of future value of the bike. i know my riding abilities are not even enough to use all the my 02 gsxr600 has let alone the 1098s but in the future i think the S will hold more of it's value vs price paid b/c there are less of them and the fancy bits
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top