Ducati.org forum banner

Should we clean up the site and enforce rules or not?

• Yes, I would love to see the site go in a friendlier direction.

Votes: 51 31.5%
  • No, I love the free for all.

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Don't care either way.

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure most of you are aware that Ducati.org has been under new ownership for the past year or so. We've left things pretty much untouched and policed how it was before we took over.

I'm sure many of you also know that this place can get pretty rowdy.

What we want to know is what direction you as a community want this site to go.

Do you like it being a pretty much free for all where a few bad apples are able to scare of anyone that seems to rub them the wrong way...

Do you like cursing and rudeness to be a daily staple?

Or... would you prefer that we start to reign that place in a little bit and clean up the site and make it a bit more friendly?

Now is your chance to be heard and affect the direction of the site. Please vote in the poll and post your opinions. We will go with the direction that the majority of the site wants (and you can vote and be silent if you wish, especially if you fear repercussions from some of the more vocal members).

·
Administrator
2,851 Posts
I'm glad to see this, EC. I've seen the aggressiveness, and I've tried to respond to it as necessary, without changing the demeanor of the site overall. I'm very interested to see how the members respond to this.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
what exactly to you mean by friendlier?? that obviously would be the preferred way, but exactly what would you do or how would you act to turn the forum into that direction? I wouldn't want to see this forum end up being like the .ms forum (i.e. very strict, and the mods are quick to ban you if as you as you break a couple of minor rules).

To be honest I was pretty impressed of how friendly this forum is when I joined. You're right that there are a few bad apples here and there, but that will happen no matter what. For the most part it seems like those people come and go...they're not very active.

Just my opinion. Also, can you guys post a list somewhere of all the admins/mods? It'd be nice to know who you guys are.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we've shown that we don't rule with an iron fist. This site, is the exact opposite of that. We want some kind of middle ground. The flame wars between members has to stop. If that means a temporary vacation of 7 days until cooler heads prevail, so be it. If you continue after the 7 days, then a full ban is in order.

The constant cursing... I think thats a bit too much.

·
Banned
215 Posts
I think we've shown that we don't rule with an iron fist. This site, is the exact opposite of that. We want some kind of middle ground. The flame wars between members has to stop. If that means a temporary vacation of 7 days until cooler heads prevail, so be it. If you continue after the 7 days, then a full ban is in order.

there is too much cursing in the Australia forums.

thats where the root of ur problem is. i mean look at all the 1 star threads in there.

:/

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Personally I like it the way it is. Please don't intervene.I believe we can handle each other and enjoy the awkward but fun community, which brings authenticity to this forum compared to other sites. I think lot of the senior members would leave possibly if they started to get warnings or bannings

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
there is too much cursing in the Australia forums.

thats where the root of ur problem is. i mean look at all the 1 star threads in there.

:/

Simple if it offends, don't go into the Australian section, then you won't be offended. 90% off it is mates takin the piss out off each other. There are a couple of clowns that could do with a tap on the head I'm sure but rather than throw the stick at it just use the temporary banned tool a bit more.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

Banning rules sound sensible to me.

I wouldn't stress about the swearing (cursing)...... We're quite a vulgar lot down under, part of our culture I guess.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yea, some excuses for the NZ and Aussie crowd, but none for anyone else? The anger and hatred displayed here is unprofessional. Ban folks who can't respond in a respectful tone. Some of the responses from folks towards new readers is shocking. Your site is paid for by fairly respected advertisers. If they have the stomach for the written words then go for it. If it was my site I would ask for a lot more of folks who want to post.
Banning Rules sound sensible.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yea, some excuses for the NZ and Aussie crowd, but none for anyone else? The anger and hatred displayed here is unprofessional. Ban folks who can't respond in a respectful tone. Some of the responses from folks towards new readers is shocking. Your site is paid for by fairly respected advertisers. If they have the stomach for the written words then go for it. If it was my site I would ask for a lot more of folks who want to post.
Banning Rules sound sensible.

·
Registered
436 Posts
New sheriff in town

The passion of and for our Ducati's and the ability to espress it here has been why I enjoy this site above all others. Do I want the dull lifelessness of other forums? Hell No!

In real life, respect is earned... just sayin'. A thick skin and determination is like a suit of armour.

Where will it start and where will it end? Is a complete list of moderators forthcoming? Will heated and passionate exchanges cease? Does Lassie save Timmy?

Ah, the Aussies. Now there's a passionate bunch! I've no quarrel with them.

IMHO, no one shoud be flamed for his/her post, but shouldn't cry when they're shown the error of their wisdom, or lack of.

My 2 cents, back to forum, haven't been to the sink in awhile.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't post to often. I'm more of a reader or troll I guess.
My opion, well compared to the other forums I find this place amusing, knowledgeable, brutally honest, and a fun place to go to forget about life's hard knocks. Much like a bike. The other forums have way to many rules, to many sensitive cry babies.
I wouldn't change a thing! So what if we have a few bad apples you'll never have a perfect place of happiness beside that would make this one hell of a boring place and members would dwindle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 7 day holiday is a good idea. Then if they continue to carry on maybe a 31 day ban? Still continue to carry on? 12 months.

Or maybe put them on mod preview? All posts made by them have to be approved by mod/admin team. Not sure if this board allows this feature.

There are some members who really dont know when to give it a rest.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
I like it just the way it is. It can get rowdy but we are all big boys here (well most of us). I don't go to the other Ducati sites anymore because you can tell the members have been neutered.

The way I see it is this place is like a frat, the new guys get hazed until they earn others respect. The ones who get their feelings hurt don't stick around. In real life you probably wouldn't want to hang out with guys like that so why should we coddle them here.

If you start censoring peoples post the forum will lose what separates it from all the other bland forums out there.

Besides most of the shenanigans happen in the Oz and Sink sections, if it really bothers you there is a very simple solution to your problem.

Cpt DB

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The answer is pretty straightforward really;

Never say something on the Internet that you would not be prepared to say face-to-face
If people can't abide by that then they simply don't belong in a forum community.

Colourful language isn't really the issue; rude and vulgar words need context. If it's said in jest, or simply to emphasize or express a feeling, then fine: we're all grown-ups.

But when things change to insults, personal grievances, threats, harassment or intimidation, then we go back to that simple rule: would I put up with someone treating me like this in real life?

- If it's inappropriate to say in real life, then don't say it.

If this is too hard to follow then maybe the ban hammer could persuade you otherwise...This is common sense stuff ( and it's sadly lacking.....)
-

·
Banned
10,384 Posts
There are plenty of forums like the one you want to create not so many like this .
The traffic here is a lot busier than others because it does have a point of difference which I prefer .
Let the mob rule I say . It has worked for years like this if new punters don't like it go to one of the more sterile forums there are plenty of them .

1 - 20 of 317 Posts