Ducati.org forum banner

Should we clean up the site and enforce rules or not?

• Yes, I would love to see the site go in a friendlier direction.

Votes: 51 31.5%
  • No, I love the free for all.

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Don't care either way.

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters
301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Perhaps, but one is most certainly more acceptable than the other. Think about it.
Most of us are smart enough to know when we are being called an asshole, one way or another. Dal may not get it though :stickpoke

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been using this site as a source of information, and try to contribute if I see a topic which is within my limited knowledge and experience. I visit this site almost every day to read bike related stuff (sometimes look at funny threads in the kitchen sink). I am not a very frequent poster but I like this place as it is, never been bothered. If someone insults or curses another, he deserves same attitude back, if the other party chooses to reply. This is not a scientific research platform, it's a bike related site, so there's nothing wrong with some cursing between two adults if they choose to behave that way IMHO. I've been a member of few other sites, which has changed owners and moderation rules on the way and all of them evolved into being totally different. If you intend to make this place totally different, go ahead. You will lose some people, gain other people, and will have changed the site. If your considerations are commercial, you will have taken a big risk because you will have lost the uniqueness of this place.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First, this site has been (and hopefully will continue to be) INVALUABLE TO ME! It has helped me learn more about my two bikes, do more by myself, and save some serious jack. So a huge THANK YOU to everyone who provides the usefuil info, feedback and ideas.

Next, whether it's in-person or in virtual reality, if you put a group of people together, there will always be some aggressive boors, tools and insipid and banal comments and discussion. People who object to that, and yet stick around and essentially ask to be insulted and flamed are pretty much gluttons for punishment. I think that attempting to "police" the site will ultimately cause more harm than good.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
First, this site has been (and hopefully will continue to be) INVALUABLE TO ME! It has helped me learn more about my two bikes, do more by myself, and save some serious jack. So a huge THANK YOU to everyone who provides the usefuil info, feedback and ideas.

Next, whether it's in-person or in virtual reality, if you put a group of people together, there will always be some aggressive boors, tools and insipid and banal comments and discussion. People who object to that, and yet stick around and essentially ask to be insulted and flamed are pretty much gluttons for punishment. I think that attempting to "police" the site will ultimately cause more harm than good.
So if you were the head of a motorcycle club and you had a meeting and 5 or 6 guys walked in, started yelling at people, cursing and harrasing other members of your club you would simply expect your club members to leave and not stick around?

Is that the ideal way to handle things? You'd let these people scare off your membership without any attempt to stop them (or it) simply because People who object to that, and yet stick around and essentially ask to be insulted and flamed are pretty much gluttons for punishment?

I disagree.

On another note, the rules have been posted here: http://www.ducati.org/forums/site-comments-suggestions/announcements.html

·
Registered
726 Posts
So if you were the head of a motorcycle club and you had a meeting and 5 or 6 guys walked in, started yelling at people, cursing and harrasing other members of your club you would simply expect your club members to leave and not stick around?

Is that the ideal way to handle things? You'd let these people scare off your membership without any attempt to stop them (or it) simply because People who object to that, and yet stick around and essentially ask to be insulted and flamed are pretty much gluttons for punishment?

I disagree.

On another note, the rules have been posted here: http://www.ducati.org/forums/site-comments-suggestions/announcements.html
Consider the "sink" a room in the motorcycle club where the rowdy's are. If you don't want to deal with the rowdy's, don't go into that room. The club has many other rooms, so no need for the other club members to run off.
As Granny used to say "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Chorizo, I understand you want to keep all the crap in the sink, but what's the point of making it so you have to join that part separately? Like a forum within a forum?? I don't get what that will solve...if people want to post the crap in other places outside of the sink and disobey your rules, they can do so. And if they want to follow the rules, it just makes it more of a pain in the ass, because you have to log in and out more times just to participate in that 1 thread. Just leave it the way it is, and enforce your new rules in the other sections and leave the sink to be more "free for all"

·
Registered
581 Posts
SBK- As you should know by now I am not taking the new admins side, but I believe the issue is a software confliction. He can't undo the swear filter etc on only one sub forum. Also by adding a registration flag if you will it will give he corporate HQ he answer to the ability to say "hey the elected to go there understanding the consquences." This would give them the ability to back away from a lawsuit say someone opens a picture of a snatch at work and gets fired. They agreed they knew it...it is digitally signed...innocent. Plus it wouldn't have to be a seperate log in but just a sub forum flag. Kind of like a moderators sub forum.

·
Administrator
2,851 Posts
SBK- As you should know by now I am not taking the new admins side, but I believe the issue is a software confliction. He can't undo the swear filter etc on only one sub forum. Also by adding a registration flag if you will it will give he corporate HQ he answer to the ability to say "hey the elected to go there understanding the consquences." This would give them the ability to back away from a lawsuit say someone opens a picture of a snatch at work and gets fired. They agreed they knew it...it is digitally signed...innocent. Plus it wouldn't have to be a seperate log in but just a sub forum flag. Kind of like a moderators sub forum.
That's exactly how it should work. Once you've opted in, it's invisible from then on.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts