Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, recently bought this 07 848, 35k on the clock, no service history.... After peeking into airbox I got a fright!!
God damn it's filthy, filter looks pretty clean tho, where is all that oily muck come from? Crankcase breather maybe? Why's it so oily in there?
Not what you wanna see hey!! Hope engine hasn't suffered too badly, poor girl. Don't worry, I will respect her n treat her right now she's mine.馃榿

Attachments

Court Jester
The snorkles do not seal very well with the oem filter, allowing unfiltered air into the box. Go with an aftermarket option that specifically addresses the seals, like BMC.

Reactions: 37832

Registered
k&n makes extra seal that come with their filter, if you send them a nice email asking for replacements they even send them to you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for input. Where do you think the oil residue has come from, out of crankcase? How can I eliminate that.
Thanks heaps in advance.

Registered
35k of crancase breath. Wipe it clean and keep an eye on it. Never overfill the sump. A smidge under is the place to aim.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, your right mate. Cheers for positive input! It's amazing how badly some owners neglect their rides, hey.
Does the 848 have just one injector mounted on top of airbox? Woulda thought fuel better injected at each throttle body....

Registered
I had exactly the same problem with my 848Evo a few years back. Thought I had dusted up the front cylinder but all good thank [email protected]#$. Oem filters are good but the end seals are shit. What I did was get some black sponge rubber, same stuff as on some hot water pipes. You know the stuff!! Thin sheets of it can be bought at most hardware shops. Trace the shape onto it using your aircleaner element, cut it out and use some silastic or rubber cement to glue it to the end of you filter element,give it half hour to set then refit into airbox. Will give a much better seal and hopefully stop the airbox dusting up. Worked with my 2011 Evo. As far as the oil residue in the airbox, there isnt really much you can do as the oil mists up a bit in the crank cases at high rpm and gets sucked up into the airbox through the rubber hose connected from the top of the gearbox to the bottom of the airbox. Just give it a clean every 12 months or so. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts