Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey PeeWee, thank on the dog. He is no where near this little today he was about 14 weeks when this was taken now 120 and still growing. As for everyone's input thanks I will be keeping records on my trip so I should have a good idea within the first day but I do apprecate your feedback. I am concerned about some areas in So. Utah that 100 miles with out gas may be more common than I would like. Thanks again.
Is your dog a Bernese Mountain Dog? Used to have one and would love another but man was he huge when fully grown. Uses to eat around 3 lbs of meat a day and weighed 8.5 stone! Not overweight but right for his size and age. Lost him at only two due to a stroke. Gutted and terribly tied emotionally to him, but would still love another one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the way backdown, Ran out of gas coming into Ojai and coasted the 1/4mi into the 76 station. Guess the Duc ain't up to two trips up the hill without a drink.. 102.7mi from full to empty.. 26.3mi on res.

The above was a previous reply I made to a So.Cal ride posting.. Mixed riding with some heavy handed canyon stuff thrown in..

RC
When you ran out how much gas did you put in?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
160k on 98 octane petrol before the light comes on with a mix of cruising and crazy.
Theoretically, higher octane rating fuel goes farther since it has more energy per litre, so gas up with the highest octane fuel you see.

Haven't run it dry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the freeway, I get 40-43 mpg on the times I bothered to check (checked maybe 5 times).

Once I got to 105 miles before the reserve light came on. Filled up at 125 miles. That was mostly freeway with about 10 miles of streets. Full Termi system.....

Canyon riding only gets ~32-36 mpg

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Not sure what RC51-05 put in, but when I ran dry, I was only able to put 3.617 gallons (13.75 liters) in the tank. Am I missing something? Shouldn't the tank be 15.5 liters?

And this was at 88.3 miles, so that's about 24 MPG. The warning light had come on at 62 miles.

Sorry guy's.. Missed the question put to me on this thread.. If memory serves me correct I put about 3.675gal. .. I was surprised cause I alway's thought we had a 4.0 tank..

RC

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just went on a ride Wednesday with my 848 and 696 Buddies. I ended up running 119.8miles, the light had not come on yet, but I had another 38mi before I got home, so I filled up, took 2.6gal, so about 46mpg. This was a leisure ride through canyons, plains, up through some passes etc..but w/ a new rider and thunderstorms we took it easy.

I have yet to get 3gal in this bike during any fill-up. One ride, I left the house, and about 4miles the light came on, I finished to the meeting place (Shell Station) and the reserve trip showed 38mi on it. I'm thinking something is wrong, either Ducati's printed literature on size of tank vs. reserve, or something, cause it just doesn't come out right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't run dry on the 1098, but I did on the SuperHawk coming back from Laguna. That was a first! My last ride out on tghe 1098 I sat on the bike while filling it and brought the level to just inside the filler neck, twice. One time it took 3.0g, and another 3.2. I got about 100 miles to the tank easily, if spirited riding is not an issue. I can drive about just about 20 miles on reserve. I think Ducati has the reserve capacity amount wrong on the Duc, and holds a gallon back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be an up to date solution for some now that there are bikes out there donating parts. I’ve just bought a 1098 and the previous owner has put an 1198SP tank on it, which takes 2.5 litres more fuel.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts