Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my new 2010 1198 next week and want to immediately get the frame powder coated red, I'm a good mechanic but have never worked on or owned a Duc, is it reasonable to tackle this task of removing the frame in my garage or take it to a shop and pay 1200+?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Depending on your definition of a good mechanic it is something that is feasible to tackle with the right tools.

Now its all relative to if you have the 1200 to spend on having a shop help, then go that route.

If you feel confident that you have the right tools for dismantling suspension, swingarm, etc etc and the tools to put it all back together properly, it will be a fun project to tackle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, do you know of anyone that has painted the frame in place just tape and cover other engine or bike components and just paint exposed surfaces?

·
Registered
129 Posts
More immediate for me would be to do all the important maint like valves, belts fluids and ride it to test for any issues rather than strip it for frame colour.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
It is a lot of work for a purely aesthetic change. As others are suggesting, there are probably other, more important things you need to be looking at.

But, if you're determined to do it, go ahead. Having done similar jobs on (crashed) 1098/1198s, I can tell you that the routing and refitting of all the wiring, cables and hoses is the main thing to get right.

Getting the front end, the rear end, and the engine in and out is not so complicated.

Many a crash repair has passed through my hands where an enthusiastic owner has stripped and rebuilt it himself, only to have so many cables/wiring etc. all going the wrong way. And endless problems afterwards.

I can tell you that rectifying this after a well-meaning owner has done it all wrong is a total PITA!

So take lots of pictures, and do lots of diagrams. Which side of every frame tube each and every wire, hose and cable goes is critical to get right.

This is not a small job you are contemplating. If you haven't done this type of work several times before, with successful results, I would be warning against it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Perhaps get the 1198S if you want a red frame... nothing screams "seriously wrecked bike" as loudly as a powder-coated frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts