Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both myself and another SF owner have tried this and we both got instant HP gains, for free, without leaning the bike out. Seems that the airbox pressure sensor makes an adjustment and keeps the fueling the same.

Quick easy mod, instant gains, both bikes had back-to-back dyno runs to confirm and the results were consistent and repeatable.

Give it a try!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The runs were done about 15 minutes apart. Same day, same dyno, same operator(who told me it probably wouldn't do much), same environmental variables, etc...

When he saw the instant gain, he kinda looked at me funny and reran it several times. This was after we spent an hour tuning the 5,200+ RPM range to get as much power out of it as possible. Then we popped out the airbox pieces that I had previously cut and held in place with duct tape and reran the bike, and it immediately picked up about 5HP and some torque.

This motor is starved for air when it is forced to breathe through those pitifully small intakes. Most 600's have double or triple the intake size than this bike in stock form. Those big cylinders need to be able to gulp lots of air, and those postage stamp sized holes are not enough.

So open them up and see what happens. :)

I did this so that it looks nice and stock and saves me $500. But when I start putting on carbon fiber, then I will be getting a set from Shift-tech for appearances. But in the meantime, I will take all the performance gains for free.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So open them up and see what happens. :)
Thanks for the info Squire,

Sounds like the mod has real benefit, but I can't bring myself to start cutting up a bike that costs $27,000 Australian on the road. And to be honest I'm not sure I need an extra 5hp - I struggle to get anywhere near the best out of the bike as it is.

The other thing I would be concerned about is warranty. I'm pretty confident that if I had an issue with the engine and took it back to my dealer for a warranty claim - the fact that I had taken to the air intakes with a hacksaw would give them good amunition to argue that I had caused the problem.

Or perhaps I just worry too much...............:eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Squire,

Sounds like the mod has real benefit, but I can't bring myself to start cutting up a bike that costs $27,000 Australian on the road. And to be honest I'm not sure I need an extra 5hp - I struggle to get anywhere near the best out of the bike as it is.

The other thing I would be concerned about is warranty. I'm pretty confident that if I had an issue with the engine and took it back to my dealer for a warranty claim - the fact that I had taken to the air intakes with a hacksaw would give them good amunition to argue that I had caused the problem.

Or perhaps I just worry too much...............:eek:
Well, lots of things can void the warranty technically... PC-V, Tuneboy, Fat-Duc, etc...

In this case, it is a piece of plastic, easily replaced. I would simply call the dealer and order up a set of OEM covers. If they are not too expensive, buy a set and mod them. Whenever the bike has to go in for service, put the replacements on.

Probably cost 1/3 of what the aftermarket covers cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You gained HP in a static position on a dyno. Hence the name "Ram Air" the tubes take in air and pressurize the system while moving. On may conclude that you gained HP on a dyno, yet when moving you may have lessened the pressure of the system and lost power.:(

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You gained HP in a static position on a dyno. Hence the name "Ram Air" the tubes take in air and pressurize the system while moving. On may conclude that you gained HP on a dyno, yet when moving you may have lessened the pressure of the system and lost power.:(
Did you notice that this thread has been dead for 4 years and 8 months?:wtf:

·
Registered
369 Posts

good point

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good point
There is no ram air on this bike.

Even on the full fairing versions, you have to be going 150mph and even then, the pressure is negligible. The real effect of the intakes is that it gets cooler, denser air than if it just sucked it from around the motor.

So the mod doesn't change anything there.

And yes, this is an old thread. I sold that SF awhile ago. I have had an FZ1, a Daytona 675, a Speed Triple 1050, an 1198 and now a Tuono 1000R Factory since then. haha

·
Registered
369 Posts
That could be one way to look at it. On the other hand, I also agree with Ruger in regards to the possible turbulence that is created by this mod at moving speeds. The covers (which you drilled) were designed to reduce turbulence especially at higher speeds by channelling the air through the chamber into the airbox.

Have you ever wondered how a sky diver breathe in free fall?

So it makes perfect sense that a bike in static dyno condition would produce less hp with the air tubes due to the lack of ram-air effect as well as heat soak. It's like asking someone to breath through a snorkel at standstill. At that point, any mod that opens up the air tube or getting rid of the air tubes entirely like IL_mostro would result in performance gain. But when air around you is travelling at a high speed, the same snorkel that you found restricting may provide the only air that you could breathe in given your lung capacity

So what I conclude from this is that if you ride your vehicle at lower speeds (eg. traffic, dyno), then this mod may benefit you, at the risk of exposing your engine/air filter to more dirt from the environment. In other cases, the benefits are questionable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That could be one way to look at it. On the other hand, I also agree with Ruger in regards to the possible turbulence that is created by this mod at moving speeds. The covers (which you drilled) were designed to reduce turbulence especially at higher speeds by channelling the air through the chamber into the airbox.

Have you ever wondered how a sky diver breathe in free fall? The nose and mouth actually provides very limited oxygen intake during free fall. Most of it is done through the skin.

So it makes perfect sense that a bike in static dyno condition would produce less hp with the air tubes due to the lack of ram-air effect as well as heat soak. It's like asking someone to breath through a snorkel at standstill. At that point, any mod that opens up the air tube or getting rid of the air tubes entirely like IL_mostro would result in performance gain. But when air around you is travelling at a high speed, the same snorkel that you found restricting may provide the only air that you could breathe in given your lung capacity

So what I conclude from this is that if you ride your vehicle at lower speeds (eg. traffic, dyno), then this mod may benefit you, at the risk of exposing your engine/air filter to more dirt from the environment. In other cases, the benefits are questionable.
Maybe, but I don't think that anyone is worried about the airflow turbulance at 150+ MPH on a naked bike.

If it gives an immediate boost at just about any real world situation that this bike is intended for, it is probably a fair trade for the possibility of a negligible negative effect at speeds or conditions one would rarely if ever use the bike at.

The bike has been out almost 5 years and this is a very common mod, and I have yet to see even one person or source show anything negative, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Considering terminal velocity of an average skydiver is around 120mph with a much lower drag coefficient than a motorcycle (and lighter air density), I think the effects of turbulence will be a factor for most bikes on the road but you're right if I'm riding this bike in New york rush hour or tokyo the mod might be beneficial

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering terminal velocity of an average skydiver is around 120mph with a much lower drag coefficient than a motorcycle (and lighter air density), I think the effects of turbulence will be a factor for most bikes on the road but you're right if I'm riding this bike in New york rush hour or tokyo the mod might be beneficial
Well, one would think that in half a decade, some documented negative side affects would have surfaced by now...

And to be frank, I am talking about the mod that I did, where I did the cut out inside the frame where the turbulence would not be much of a factor... I saw an instant 5hp gain, that was repeatable, and it wasn't "out in the wind" the way that open cover is in the other guy's pic.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought I'd say Hi, David. Glad to see you over here, too :) Are you still on Speed Triple?
Hey! Nah, I got an 1198 after the Speedy and then Paul at NPR found me a 2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000 Factory Edition, with Akra pipes and only 1,600 miles on it, mint. The white, red and black with the lion on the tank, carbon everywhere, Ohlins, gold Oz wheels, the works.

I did finally talk my fiance into selling her Diavel, and she is now loving her 2014 Street Triple R. Been trying to talk her into that bike for 3 years and she finally gave it a try and it;s her favorite bike. haha

Reactions: WERA689
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.