Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after months of delays and limited riding, I've put about 1,000 miles on my 2006 ST3S, The Crimson Flash, over the past week or so.

This is just a Dobeck report. I've used one before, years ago when they were new. I liked it then on a Harley; I love it on Flash.

I bought it direct from Dobeck and it came pre-loaded with software written for the bike/model. And it works. The power delivery is smooth, assuming you use the gears properly. At 3,500rpm power is useful for putting around town but not so much for acceleration; think not wanting to awaken the neighborhood with your modded exhaust (more on that in a future post.) Power builds smoothly from there to a very useful 4,000rpm. That is a good cruising rpm for boulevards in town or wide open spaces. I took a 100-mile ride west out of Prescott, AZ to Skull Valley over the w/e, then back on AZ89: no Interstate or multilane roads. I found 4Krpm useful in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. From that rpm, it pulls smoothly up, progressively faster and faster.

As rpm increased, there were no glitches or stutters or other nastiness. There is still some exhaust popping on overrun around 3,200rpm but I don't think it's Dobeck-related. I'll investigate further; I really think it's an exhaust leak at the octopus.

So far, the device is delivering 44mpg overall. I don't know if that will hold up to a run up I17 to Flagstaff at 90mph; I'll let you know.

I messed around with the settings and couldn't improve on what came from Dobeck. Not to say a pro tuner couldn't, but why bother? I'm happy with it as it is.

Pilgrim

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts