Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I feel or stand on the matter but I've been seeing a lot more ducatis out there compared to last year. On one hand I get excited whenever I see one but on the other I don't want it to turn into the GSXRs with the stretched swing arms and led lights....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Brand popularity and sales continue to rise. As mentioned above, it doesn't affect my interest or passion either way.

Haven't seen any with extended swing arms or spaceship lights yet.. but I'm sure a few are floating around.

Ducati motorcycles are more of lifestyle bikes, as opposed to some other manufactures.

Pricing, maturity, and design generally keep the urchins away. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I've noticed that Duc resale value is dropping as more flood the market. That sucks.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I for one want more of them to race! When I go to my local track day they make up a large portion of the bikes there. However, that does not translate over to the race weekends, where there are only about 7 or 8 for all of the classes.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. Ducati needs to keep up with the other brands and try to capture new customers in the process. They have spent gobs of money building higher tech production facilities in Italy and Asia. They've re-vamped the entire production lineup over the last 3 years, giving them a more competitive edge in the market. And in the process, they've been building and shipping more bikes.

What made Ducati different then the other brands, doesn't exist in the current model lineup. The modern bikes are a dime a dozen, they're everywhere. The "classic" Ducati's are becoming more and more rare however, they're the only one's that really turn my head anymore anyway. Once I hear the dry clutch rattle, my attention is drawn right to whatever machine it is. It's little things like that which made Ducati unique and special. It's truly unfortunate those days are long behind us.

Ohh and yes, I do see more and more Ducati's on the street, but I see less and less Ducati's at track events… unless of course you go to the old-timers races, then there are lots! LOL :)

Reactions: karelin

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
...What made Ducati different then the other brands, doesn't exist in the current model lineup...
I didn't know there was another manufacturer who mass-produced frameless bikes.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Yes

No

Maybe

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nah, it's cool. Granted, I started seeing a ton of other 848's when I was back home (SoCal, tons of them) but none were squid'd out. Mine is modded enough that it's still unique and as Tuned mentioned, the older Ducs are getting rare, so I won't find many more 748's rolling around. Truthfully, I'm happy for Ducati. Sales are on the rise, they keep coming out with new exciting models and reliability is no longer of concern. Couldn't be happier for Ducati and their successes.

Reactions: Grandpa_Bambu

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my first 998 back in 2002, the bone stock, non-S, model cost $19,000 plus tax. That was way higher than every other sport bike except MV Agusta, so they were way more exclusive back then. Now Ducati's have gotten cheaper and all the other sports bikes have gotten more expensive and so the gap in price is much smaller. Easier of a gap to justify jumping up in price. Plus, back then, Ducati had a definite edge in performance, and styling so they could justify that price gap. Now they just have an advantage in styling and even that is subjective. So if you want exclusivity, jump to a MV or a Bimota.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like seeing other Ducati's out there but what annoys me are the people who buy them then have four inch chicken strips on an 1199. That's what annoys me
Unless you ride at the track, you SHOULD have "4 inch chicken strips". If not, you are a "wild and crazy guy".
:loser:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've noticed that Duc resale value is dropping as more flood the market. That sucks.
Why is that? There are a million more Harleys, but yet their resale value is ridiculously high.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Why is that? There are a million more Harleys, but yet their resale value is ridiculously high.
Probably because the IL's are increasing their costs, so one questions why spend 18K on a used 1199S when they can get a new liter-bike for 14K.

Example:

http://www.ducati.org/forums/bikes/61014-2012-1199s-sale-cheap.html

The R's used to go for 25K+ but since the 1199R came out, those prices are creeping closer to 20K.

http://www.ducati.org/forums/bikes/64427-2008-ducati-1098r-excellent-condition-many-upgrades.html

This one has a lot of add-ons too.

Harleys will always keep their value cuz they're, well, Harleys. That is paying strictly for the name whereas Ducati is just another Sport Bike so why not compare it to other offerings.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts