Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am changing oil in my 1198 sp. I don't remember the magnet being able to slide on the drain plug before. Right now it can move about 1/8 of an inch on the little shaft it sits on. Is this normal or is it getting ready to come off? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I also found a picture of the plug in my repair manual that looked exactly what my plug looked like. It's all back together now. I even remembered to refill with oil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pat, thanks. I had a new piston, rings and cylinder installed about 1000 miles ago. Could this be attributed to them breaking in? As a precaution I will get in touch with the guys who did the work.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Show them the photo. To me those fragments look more like hardened steel, rather than the fine powdered residue which might be expected to appear during bedding-in new pistons.

The gearboxes are pretty strong on these, but I certainly never saw anything like those deposits on my magnet in 76,000 kms on mine.

Not trying to worry you, but those deposits look a bit serious. I daresay the Q/S on your model might be expected to be harsher on gearbox components than mine.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I always get big shavings after a motor re-build, its very common. When you do yours, first oil change you too will get big stuff like that. I have yet to see a bike which doesn't have metal bits like that when new OR re-built.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts