Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the downshift blipper on my 899 track bike, which was done using the TuneBoy system. It works great, and everyone who has ridden my bike has raved about how cool that feature is. Now that I have it, I don't think I can live without it on any track bike I have in the future. Every time I ride my Ninja 300, I forget that I have to use the clutch and it irritates me to have to do it. However, the Tuneboy setup is very expensive and requires an ECU reflash, so not many have done it. And if you want to make any programming changes to it, then another ECU flash is required. We've been talking with our friends at BSD in England about a project to develop an external module for downshift blipper function, and they have all the pieces in place now to make it happen. Now it's just a matter of getting the production pieces made and getting it to market. The big question at this point is how much demand is there for this from current 1199/899 owners? That will have a big impact on the pricing so I wanted to get a feel from all of the forum peeps on how much interest there might be for something like this?

The plan is to have a basic "street" version that will have a clutch-switch triggered blipper function, so that you can downshift using the clutch as you currently do, but don't need to blip the throttle, the system will do it for you. Then the "race" version that will have a load cell on the shift lever (like my Tuneboy setup has) so that you can downshift simply by using the shift lever and no clutch. It will come with software so you can configure everything and will be totally external with all factory connectors, no ECU reflash or other permanent modifications to the bike required.

The target would be around $649 for the street version and $999 for the race version, so significantly less expensive than the Tuneboy setup, but that will depend on how many they can make in a batch based upon the demand. Target would be to release it early next year if it's a "go". We would take pre-orders over the Winter for the first batch. Let me know what y'all think and I'll pass it along!

P.S. - It would also work on other bikes with the RbW system, Diavel, Multistrada, etc.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
How are you going to down shift with out using the clutch safely? I know it can be done, but safely and consistently? By what I am assuming would be a load cell telling the ecu you are going to down shift, the ignition cuts and the throttle blips.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So how much is the Tuneboy setup at the moment? Including the ECU reflash that you'd have to do.

I imagine the sensor sends a signal to the ECU which (using the rbw throttle function) it blips the throttle enough to be able to match gears and shift. In theory you can do it with any bike manually, but not an easy thing to do, especially when you're trying to do it multiple times in a short period of time at the end of a long straight going into slower turn. Pretty much the way most MotoGP bikes work.

·
Site Sponsor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you going to down shift with out using the clutch safely? I know it can be done, but safely and consistently? By what I am assuming would be a load cell telling the ecu you are going to down shift, the ignition cuts and the throttle blips.
Yeah, you got it! They've had those systems on World Superbike and MotoGP bikes for a long time, only in the last few years has it trickled down to the rest of the market. It provides very smooth and fast downshifts. Here's an example, listen to the downshifts at the end of the straight on my bike and you can should get an idea of how it works:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not to sound ignorant, but wouldn't a slipper clutch achieve the same end results?
Does a slipper clutch allow you to downshift without using the clutch, and blip the throttle automatically for you?? :popcorn:

Reactions: 182 Racing

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not to sound ignorant, but wouldn't a slipper clutch achieve the same end results?
the answer to the question: NO - a slipper clutch does not allow downshifting without using the clutch - it helps prevent rear wheel lockup if you are downshifting a tad aggressively, combined with EBC (Ducati's Engine Brake Control) downshifting on de-acceleration has never been better for keeping the bike within control :yo:

·
Site Sponsor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Details have been worked out on the downshift blipper module, it looks like the "street" version will be $535 and the "race" version will be $990 including the USB programming module. Hoping for availability by March, I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Details have been worked out on the downshift blipper module, it looks like the "street" version will be $535 and the "race" version will be $990 including the USB programming module. Hoping for availability by March, I'll keep everyone posted.
will this be a ducati part/system or aftermarket - and differences between street & race ?

·
Site Sponsor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will this be a ducati part/system or aftermarket - and differences between street & race ?
It is an aftermarket upgrade, not Ducati. The Ducati system on the 1299 will not be retrofittable to the 1199/899. The street version will blip the throttle automatically when you pull the clutch in, the race version is full clutchless downshifting and programmable with a USB connection.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is an aftermarket upgrade, not Ducati. The Ducati system on the 1299 will not be retrofittable to the 1199/899. The street version will blip the throttle automatically when you pull the clutch in, the race version is full clutchless downshifting and programmable with a USB connection.
...you are making me think.... :) how goes it for the 2015 1199r - full clutchless downshift, or does clutch need to be pulled in - the whole point of this (for me at least) would be less movement on the bike...pulling in the clutch negates that immediately :(

...maybe i'm missing something, but why would aftermarket design a system that still requires the clutch to be pulled in - only for rpm matching ?

·
Registered
732 Posts
...you are making me think.... :) how goes it for the 2015 1199r - full clutchless downshift, or does clutch need to be pulled in - the whole point of this (for me at least) would be less movement on the bike...pulling in the clutch negates that immediately :(

...maybe i'm missing something, but why would aftermarket design a system that still requires the clutch to be pulled in - only for rpm matching ?[/QUOTE

Looks like I found the answer on the Ducati web site:

The Ducati Quick Shift up/down (DQS) is a race-derived electronic system that manages shifting of the gearbox in both up and down directions. It allows upshifts to be made under full acceleration without using the clutch, which gains precious fractions of a second that would otherwise be wasted in closing the throttle. It also allows clutchless downshifts, as the system performs a perfectly-timed auto-blip when the foot lever is depressed, engaging the gears smoothly and allowing the rider to concentrate only on braking and corner entry
NICE !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts