Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading all the posts on wet slipper clutches and all mistakes everyone else made I thought for sure I would have done it right...
So all buttoned up, shifts into gear just fine then when I go I get somewhere but a whole lot of rpm and not a lot of go go.
I'm going to pull apart, once garage is warmer. Too damn cold today, anyway and see where I missed something.
So as per instructions it talks about the Belleville washer or whatever, it says bevel side out. Which side is the bevel side???

Open to thoughts and suggestions and whatever smart assery comes along

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It took miles of playing with it but what I can tell you for sure is that when I installed it in my 848 that the stock clutch pack is not thick enough. There's a thread somewhere and I can't remember for the life of me but it tells what depth your mic should read from the top of the pressure plate to the stack. That helped me a ton. I would start by ordering some steels and swapping out two of the thin ones for thick ones. Button her up and retest. The thicker the stack the more rpms it takes to engage the slip. I liked feeling some engine braking on the street but having the slipper engage when hard downshifting into a corner at the track. Thinner stack equals less force to engage the slipper. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ yes that does help. So now that I look at friction plates I see it's mostly available in packs only. I assume my dealer can get just single plates???
It's Sunday so their close for two days.

What do you all recommend for aftermarket friction plates and where did you get them?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have the wet kit but I went with a Barnett clutch pack off eBay. $150 or something like that. I tracked my bike a lot so it was nice to just swap plates as the pack wore down.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was looking at videos and other install write ups and I am beginning to wonder if one of the springs, maybe two were not tightened correctly. I didn't really pay attention as I tightened them, I checked torque buts omitting I've seen other guys do is ensure the spring was not being compressed.

I'm in AZ for a few days so I'll check this coming weekend.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I win!!!!!!
So pulled it all apart and realized two things.
I can't count. 40 was last when it should have been a 48. Also I put a 2mm thick driven plate before the last driving plate

I also realized my torque wrench is NM not ft lb so I have been over torquing. I have 3 and two were ft lb so I thought this one was too oops..

Test drive in the rain and it's awesome!!! Can't believe this doesn't come stock takes out all the play in downshifts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I win!!!!!!
I can't count. 40 was last when it should have been a 48. Also I put a 2mm thick driven plate before the last driving plate

I also realized my torque wrench is NM not ft lb so I have been over torquing. I have 3 and two were ft lb so I thought this one was too oops..

Test drive in the rain and it's awesome!!! Can't believe this doesn't come stock takes out all the play in downshifts
How much was the whole setup? I am trying to get on the track this year with my 848 and hear this is a worthwhile mod if tracking alot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much was the whole setup? I am trying to get on the track this year with my 848 and hear this is a worthwhile mod if tracking alot.

If you can manage to find a gently used kit, like I did it's about 500.
Brand new I think the DP goes for 1k. I tried to poll current owners on their suggestions and it didn't really turn up a big conversation.

Quite an easy install, first clutch work for me and I'm much better for it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I win!!!!!!

Be careful with the over torquing, a lot of the bolts and studs will snap on our bikes :(

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yea I fell victim to one of those on the case.
Looking into titanium next winter
Ouch! I've had a titanium rotor bolt snap and a exhaust head stud snap.. I about killed myself when the head stud snapped.. it was actually easier to fix then anticipated and the titanium bolt that snapped just confused me, but I had also been doing nm instead of ft/lb.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I win!!!!!!

Very good. And if you want to add more engine braking you just need to swap out some thin plates for thick ones. That gives more of a stock feel yet engaging the slipper when you are hard at work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.