Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know why the 11-12 1199's dropped so hard in price over the past year?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm curious to know why the 11-12 1199's dropped so hard in price over the past year?
If I recall correctly, the first year of the 1199 Panigale was 2012; it was introduced late in 2011.

Not sure what you mean by "dropped so hard"? .. I still seem them holding their values respectively.

Considering the 2015's are around the corner, any 2012 model will depreciate in value.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm glad they are depreciating....means I can buy one next year!!
Yeppers!

It's one of the biggest problems when you grow as a company and make more and more product of the same product. The more examples exist, the more the value of each one of those examples decreases. Ducati's uniqueness to the open market is being diluted every so slightly, to the potential detriment of people who purchase them new and wish to "trade-up". This has been the problem Japanese brands have pretty much always faced due to their mass-production, high volume mentality. At one point, it won't be worth trading up every year or two like a majority of Ducati owners currently do.

The Panigale unfortunately doesn't appear to have the same used market draw as the older bikes. Maybe people are waking up to what I said years ago about the bike being a poor used bike due to owners inability to service it. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yeppers!

It's one of the biggest problems when you grow as a company and make more and more product of the same product. The more examples exist, the more the value of each one of those examples decreases. Ducati's uniqueness to the open market is being diluted every so slightly, to the potential detriment of people who purchase them new and wish to "trade-up". This has been the problem Japanese brands have pretty much always faced due to their mass-production, high volume mentality. At one point, it won't be worth trading up every year or two like a majority of Ducati owners currently do.

The Panigale unfortunately doesn't appear to have the same used market draw as the older bikes. Maybe people are waking up to what I said years ago about the bike being a poor used bike due to owners inability to service it. :shrug:
Remind us why owners can't service their bikes ? It's hard to give a 1098 away here so the Panigale is no different to the earlier models .

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Remind us why owners can't service their bikes ?
Have you put in new pistons yet? How about new crank bearings?

It's hard to give a 1098 away here so the Panigale is no different to the earlier models .
Amen to that, 1098's are almost impossible to sell. You see them here for so cheap it's disturbing. Remember, it was the first generation of that style and everyone wanted one. So they made BOATLOADS of them and once the 1198 came out, everyone sold them and now they've traded hands so many times, most of them are three times removed from their original owner. :(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Have you put in new pistons yet? How about new crank bearings?

Amen to that, 1098's are almost impossible to sell. You see them here for so cheap it's disturbing. Remember, it was the first generation of that style and everyone wanted one. So they made BOATLOADS of them and once the 1198 came out, everyone sold them and now they've traded hands so many times, most of them are three times removed from their original owner. :(
Yes I have put in SL pistons so what's the big deal ?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yes I have put in SL pistons so what's the big deal ?
I didn't know you built your own motors! You didn't post any pix of the job, I would have liked to have seen the difference in pistons between the SL and R.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I didn't know you built your own motors! You didn't post any pix of the job, I would have liked to have seen the difference in pistons between the SL and R.
I don't but was involved in the process . The SL is quite different from the R piston . The SL cams and Ti valves were added as well .

·
Registered
363 Posts
all of these bikes will depreciate.

Buy it to ride it and look at it....not to make money selling it. will never happen.

sold my RR with ~5,000miles for $45k

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I don't but was involved in the process .
It's nice to have all the specialized tools… thats pretty much all I was getting at. The Panigale has A LOT MORE then prior generations and unfortunately a lot of them are a requirement for simple things like replacing a piston which is nonsensically easy on ANY previous 4 valve Ducati.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's nice to have all the specialized tools… thats pretty much all I was getting at. The Panigale has A LOT MORE then prior generations and unfortunately a lot of them are a requirement for simple things like replacing a piston which is nonsensically easy on ANY previous 4 valve Ducati.
The only tool really required is the tool to pull the sleeves out but servicing the bike does not require anything special . It is in fact a easy bike to work on .
Anyway I doubt this has nothing to do with re sale values .

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The only tool really required is the tool to pull the sleeves out but servicing the bike does not require anything special . It is in fact a easy bike to work on .
Anyway I doubt this has nothing to do with re sale values .
Yea, well… there are more tools then you noticed which are important, including special engine holding stands. Having worked on one, dismantling the entire engine from the top to the bottom, I know what it's like and trust me, the older bikes are FAR easier to work on. Besides, I can replace the piston with the engine in the frame on all the other superbikes. So ya, right there, the Panigale is harder to work on.

Service does play a huge role on bikes value. If people are scared off because of a motorcycles perceived complexity, they simply will stay away from them until they are very cheap and take the risk… myself being one of those guys.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yea, well… there are more tools then you noticed which are important, including special engine holding stands. Having worked on one, dismantling the entire engine from the top to the bottom, I know what it's like and trust me, the older bikes are FAR easier to work on. Besides, I can replace the piston with the engine in the frame on all the other superbikes. So ya, right there, the Panigale is harder to work on.

Service does play a huge role on bikes value. If people are scared off because of a motorcycles perceived complexity, they simply will stay away from them until they are very cheap and take the risk… myself being one of those guys.
Whatever . I think I know the biggest tool being used to work on it .

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
According to some people, including the OP, prices have drastically dropped in value.

I disagree considering no real evidence has been presented. Depreciation yes, drastic drop.. hasn't happened.

The demand is still very strong for these bikes. Cruise the for sale forums, craigslist, eBay, or your local dealership for price indexes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the record, I don't own a 1199 - im gauging interest in the market for one and noticed how cheap they have gotten.

·
Registered
34 Posts
'cheap' is a relative valuation...

The 1199 is bound to 'drop' in value when the 1299 hits the market - don't need to graduate for that realization.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts