Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only damage I see so far is the shifter. I was on an incline waiting to make a left and I didn't give it enough throttle. Tried my best to keep her up right but alas, I was not strong enough. Can I heat this up and bend it in place? Do I just unscrew the Allen bolt and it comes off? Vehicle Auto part Brake Tire Car
Footwear Vehicle Tire Shoe Leg
Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wire

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Easy to remove with the correct size Allen key. You can heat it up and bend it back in place. Just make sure to remove the rubber pad first so it doesn't melt. Remove it carefully so that the rubber does not tear when you pull it off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good. I almost pulled the torch out and went to work then I realized I would melt the lower fairing. I take it I got to spend the bolt around quite a bit? I I got it started but I gave up Im just pissed myself. Lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You got off very lightly.

Yep, remove with the appropiate allen key and buy a new one. They are about $US100 for an OEM one, or go ebay.

I'm not keen on using something like a shifter, that is "fatigued".

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You got off very lightly.

Yep, remove with the appropiate allen key and buy a new one. They are about $US100 for an OEM one, or go ebay.

I'm not keen on using something like a shifter, that is "fatigued".

Just my 2 cents worth.
Ditto

Even on ebay, however, they aren't always easy to find. I'm actively in the market for a new shifter because someone dropped my bike in the garage and bent it even worse than yours. I've been meaning to switch to Woodcraft rearsets with GP shift, though, so this was just the push I needed.

I won't trust that lever to ever be as strong as it once was so it's headed for the trash bin. If I am able to find a cheap OEM replacement I'll pick it up as a spare.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I would second that opinion about replacing it. By the time you got that one straight it will only be good enough for a spare. You may end up having to grind and weld it at the most bent point just to get it functional.

You have probably bent the pivot bolt as well, which may be the problem you're having removing it.

If you undo/do back up the pivot bolt, it will indicate which direction it is bent in. You may be able to roughly straighten it with a drift against the base of the lever enough for you to undo it.

So you need a new pedal and pivot bolt. They are out there - I have spares (as well as my track spare) but I am a long way off, and not particularly keen to sell.

Take care on refitting the pedal, as the O-rings can jam and get damaged.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Just looking at your pics again, I think you've probably bent the lower rear fairing bracket also. Up to you whether you fix it roughly (by just pulling /pushing the fairing) or stripping the lower fairing, removing the bracket, and straightening (or replacing) it.

The bracket can usually be straightened, but be aware it has a kink in it from stock.

These brackets changed slightly during the run of these models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me last weekend with my 2013 evo corse but was more of a slowish lay down as I was wheeling her out of her hidey hole cage in my apartment building carpark, was walking on the right hand side of the bike and overbalanced.

After hearing the expen$$ive stories about these types of mishaps I was dreading what I'd find as I picked her up but found that the shifter and handlebar had taken most of the fall with a polishable-out scratch or two on the lower fairing and the LHS mirror had popped out.

I was able to press the mirror back in and seems as stable as before., thankyou Ducati for that, other bikes I've had didn't have those pop out fasteners on indicators/mirrors. The shifter was bent but a little less than the OP's

1. I'll always straddle her in future when taxiing.

2. I'm not a small guy but gee it was heavy to pick up, hate to have to lift up a heavyweight bike from horizontal

3. I was also planning to remove the shifter and have it re-straightened under heat but can't understand the need to replace it as suggested above. If it was a critical safety component such as the brake or handlebar etc I'd replace it but can't see what risk I'd face if it did break down the track (apart from the inconvenience of getting it home). Not trying to be a smartarse, I just wanted to find if I've overlooked something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
probably more of a concern if it fails mid-corner, or coming into a corner hot etc...any time you're relying on a smooth change i guess. mid-corner, I have a feeling i'd be sufficiently unsettled by a failing shifter to f*ck something up and bin it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
BTW...If you are going to replace with OEM, there is a brass sleeve that presses into the shifter pivot. That is a seperate part, so you may have to order one as well. They are not expensive.

It is easy enough to "tap" in. I expect trying to remove the sleeve from your bent shifter will be a PIA and it may become damaged.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Here's an update. It came right off with out any problems. Nothing else looks bent other than the shifter. The pics look worse than it is. I was still able to shift pretty easily with it bent last night but was just paranoid. I took it all apart, space heated it up and slightly bent it back. Next Friday I will order in new one I seen a few on eBay original and billet. I don't see any other damage anywhere man was i lucky. Do you guys think some frame sliders would help in these kinds of situations?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts