Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. New to Ducati...just bought a '05 749. I like the look of the open carbon fiber dry clutch covers vs the solid aluminum one that is currently on it. Forgive my ignorance, but is there any downside to installing one of the open covers vs the solid cover? Tks.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
If you plan on getting the bike wet, you may develop some rust. Thats really the only downside and part of the reason why the clutch is so sealed up from the factory. The upsides are tremendous; better cooling, more noise (a big plus) and kool look. Most people replace the pressure plate with a red one, so it looks better then the stocker, which is kinda ugly. But even a quick spray painting of it, will look better. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put 20-30k mi on this clutch and I never have a rust problem, although I park it out of the rain and wash it regularly (twice a month). And I have never had a problem one with it EVER nothing that you can even dream of... here is what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I put 20-30k mi on this clutch and I never have a rust problem, although I park it out of the rain and wash it regularly (twice a month). And I have never had a problem one with it EVER nothing that you can even dream of... here is what it looks like.
Umm, all your plates are rusted. That color you see on the tabs that looks brown, thats all rust. The plates should be all bright silver, not brown like in your picture.

If you were to pull the clutch apart, you'd see the metal disks are rusted at the top edge. Does it hurt anything? Not really, but the plates can get stuck together, leading to pre-mature failure. The reason why you don't get any rust build up is because someone has cut away the cover so the basket is completely exposed. All the rust particulates are on the street somewhere, not in your clutch cover.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
As mentioned above, overexposure to water is not recommended.

You can temporarily cover that area during wash time.

Find one that you like and enjoy !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts