Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
No

liquidair said:
Is a wet clutch better then a dry clutch. I know the 1098 specs read dry clutch. Why the difference?
No. Neither clutch is better than the other, in my understanding.
I have a wet clutch on my Ducati S2R800. Wet clutch's are supposd to be easier to pull. Most bikes have wet clutchs.
The Ducati dry clutch (that is on most of their 1000cc bikes) is very famous for it's sound. I can't wait for my 1098 with it's dry clutch!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in a wet clutch, the metals from the 'dog teeth' or the teeth from the gears as they wear over time can pass through oil filters and possibly contaminate vital engine parts. At the same time dry clutch's don't have oil to keep it cool. Since a wet cluch reffers to a clutch mechanism being submerged in MOTOR oil. I would be happy with a dry clutch, as long as I don't clutchless shift my gears to death. But as ARA pointed out there is no major difference.

I would love to hear why Ducati choose dry or wet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dry clutches are used for race applications. Look at most race bikes and you will see them everywhere! The engine has less drag because the clutch does not have to drag through the oil in a dry clutch. The oil does keep it cooler on a wet clutch. Antother technique to reduce this drag is to knife-edge the crank shaft so that it cuts through the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts