1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A crazy question but I go for it.

Have not started my 999 for over 3 years,
Is there any way to turn the oil pump manually to lubricate the engine before start up?

I will change the timing belt first for sure.
Any ideas to reduce engine wear before starting after few years ?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'd drain the oil for sure, its been sitting way to long. I'd also suck out any fuel that's in the tank. Obviously things like hydraulic fluid, should be changed without question before riding.

I wouldn't worry about oil not getting up to the heads, once the motor is running, it happens very quick. Everything is still lubricated anyway, so just hit the button.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Just one more question, during all these years I did not move the bike, Does this damage The wheel bearings or swing arm bearings? I remember someone had mentioned this on the forum, but I need more info on how and to what extend not moving the bike could damage these parts?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, the bearings are so easy to replace, I'd do them just because. The other thing to think about is the suspension, it's not designed to be sitting and my guess is, the moment you start riding it, you'll get leaks everywhere from the fork and shock seal. They get dried out and the oil goes bad very quickly. So you'll need to do a full service front and rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts