Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just finished installing my new Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires. Front and rear, stock size. Unfortunately, the DTC light now constantly flickers. Some initial Google research suggests just lowering the sensitivity....it's set to the most sensitive setting.

What's going on here?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
New tires will slip more then used ones will. I'd simply wait until you've put some mileage on them and the greasy outside coating has been worn off. I bet the problem goes away after that. It could also be high tire pressures, that's known to cause tires to slip a bit more then they would normally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
'Most sensitive' ?
Wouldn't that be the issue.?
No the traction control only kicks in when you actually lose traction, not just from on road driving.

Just checked the pressure, it was at 54psi, way too high. Reduced it to 38 but the symptoms didn't change.

It can't be that I made a mistake assembling it can it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If I crank mine to the highest setting it flickers a lot but I am a fairly light guy and drive a bit aggressively at times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I crank mine to the highest setting it flickers a lot but I am a fairly light guy and drive a bit aggressively at times.
Yea but mine used to never flicker on the current setting. And then everything changed with new tires.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A change in rolling diameter between old an new has upset the speed differential between front and back. Can you adjust it in your system?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sometimes I set it at level 8 just to see the light show and check it all works. Diff tyre types make no diff and it is not losing traction. The main light flickering occurs during tip in with no light when gassing out. Just put on my 1st set of Q3s and is the same.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The DTC on the 1098R is designed to be used only with OEM spec tires and no adjustment on the DP ECU but the Microtec ECU has adjustment for tyre diameter and DTC sensitivity, don't know about the 848???????

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea but mine used to never flicker on the current setting. And then everything changed with new tires.
Again, the new tires are greasy… it's VERY typical. Put a few hundred miles on them and you'll see the problem go away.

Tire diameters can be a problem IF you bought something very outrageously different then the OEM tire.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not sure if the DTC works the same way, but on aftermarket systems, like my Nemesis you ideally would have to change the tire map on it depending on the brand/model of tires you get. Michelins are VERY different than Pirelli's in tire compound and carcass construction, and overall dimensions, which would throw off the settings of the TC. I'm pretty sure the DTC was set to work with the OEM Pirreli tires, so any drastic change in tires could make it work improperly.

A dealer should have that info and if the system works the same way as what I mentioned, than they should have the ability to load a different map onto it. It takes like 2 minutes, just need to hook it up to a laptop with the right software on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will set the TC to a level 6 or 7 and ride a few hundred miles and then go from there.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hey 848endurance, for street riding put the DTC at halfway...like 4

You really don't even need it....

I had my 2012 Corse at many trackdays and it wouldn't even let me ride at level 8...

Level 3 or 4 is as high as I'd ever go...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't have tc on mine but the tire pressure could be one of the reasons. Who had them filled to 54 psi?? That's crazy high. Try 32 front and 36 rear for the street.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Johnny, will do.

I'm still curious though why the TC behaves completely different with these tires.
Hi mate,
Asides from the dtc issue, just wondering how your 848 rides with the pilot power 3 tyres? Did you change front and back?
I'm think about going to pilot power 3 tyres also from the dragon supercorsa. Il be changing front and back.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi mate,
Asides from the dtc issue, just wondering how your 848 rides with the pilot power 3 tyres? Did you change front and back?
I'm think about going to pilot power 3 tyres also from the dragon supercorsa. Il be changing front and back.

Thanks
I can't really judge them yet since I've only put about 20miles on them. And yes, I changed front and back.

I will update this thread after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Anyone who needs to do a few hundred miles to scrub in a new set of tyres should be riding a Harley instead of a Ducati imo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts