Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ehi guys,

I've been reading on here about the DTC pickup and what different people have been doing.

Turns out that the front rotors where the DTC pickup is bent. I've found a regular rotor for a decent price and all I need is to add the pickups to be a happy camper...

I would just do what other have done and machine a bolt appropriately, but I don't have a lathe.

Anyone know of a vendor who sells the buttons or an off the shelf solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
When i was installing TC to my 1198 i needed the pickup and i couldnt find any so i had some custom made by my uncle. They were lathed from ferritic stainless so that they dont corrode.

·
Registered
308 Posts
When i was installing TC to my 1198 i needed the pickup and i couldnt find any so i had some custom made by my uncle. They were lathed from ferritic stainless so that they dont corrode.
any chance more could be made for some compen$ation?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any chance more could be made for some compen$ation?
I've asked the same.

I'll be going to a fabricator friend Saturday to build the exhaust on my project bike and I'll ask him how much he would charge for a set. Probably machined out of steel.

I have a 1198 rotor with the pickups but is bent and they are expensive as hell even used as well as very hard to come by.

If reasonable, I'll let you guys know and I can ask him to make a couple of batches. It will basically a replica of the stock system, but with a bolt on the back so they can be mounted on regular rotors

·
Registered
438 Posts
I saw a right side rotor last week with the DTC pins and it sold for 140 on the bay.

A machinist I think would charge more then that, like double. I mean the work it would take on a lathe with SS.
Dude had his uncle make them up, which sounds to me like a homie hook-up.

I would think that each button would take a minute to lathe. Maybe CNC'ed but then you have to pay for CNC time.

But if that's not the case sign me up for some as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys just wondering are you planning to use the stock rotor from 09 1198 without the pickup pins or did you guys get aftermarket rotors?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is it possible to remove the dtc buttons from the rotor carrier and transfer them to another rotor?
I want to say no. The pickup are part of the buttons which are riveted so you'd have to break the buttons in order to get them off

Hey guys just wondering are you planning to use the stock rotor from 09 1198 without the pickup pins or did you guys get aftermarket rotors?
Provided that rotors should be 330mm to keep it simple, I did did buy a set of regular 1198 rotors.

My issue is that I've picked up wrecked 1198S to swap motor and rear end into my 999. The bike was in a bad front end collision that bent rim, forks and frame as well as rotors. Luckily the M4s were fine so I bought regular 1198 rotors and I'm now having the fabricator who's working on the exhaust also make some DTC pins.

The reason why I say that 330mm rotors would make it simpler is because the feet are the same on both 320mm and 330mm but the 330mm have a 5mm spacer between the caliper and the fork feet. On the right side where the pickup is the bracket is sandwiched between the caliper and the fork feet. If you stay with 320 rotros you won't be able to sandwitch the DTC bracket and you'd have to figure out a way to hold it

He's working off of a 12 point bolt. he's machining the head to replicate the DTC pickup as well as the bottom of the bolt to sit into the chamfer of the button. The pickups will either be pressed into the buttons or bolted to it.

The pressing would be a nicer setup and if done right the interference can hold them tight in place but still allow to be pushed out with a drift.

I'll for sure post something as soon as I have it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well if hes machining off them bolts then you need to coat it so it doesn't rust. I'll bug my uncle to squeeze some out and i'll take some pics of the ones on my bike as well and post them up for you guys in the mean while

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont think so. since the frequency reading would be off as you decrease the radius. you can check to see the positioning of the pins to see if theres any difference in radius between 330mm and 320mm. Since the pins are located where the rotor mounts the hub.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i dont think so. since the frequency reading would be off as you decrease the radius. you can check to see the positioning of the pins to see if theres any difference in radius between 330mm and 320mm. Since the pins are located where the rotor mounts the hub.
Actually if you think about it, it doesn't make a difference.

It is true that the arc between two buttons is different, but the angle is not. In the case of the 1198 there's 6 buttons spaced out 60 deg from each other.

If, for example, the wheel does 1 rotation in 6 seconds, a new button would go by the sensor every 1 second regardless of the arc it covers. It has to do with angular speed (un-affected by the radius) vs tangential speed (dependent on the radius at which the measurement is take)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts