Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was riding tonight and all of a sudden I feel the back lock up (I had a sena headset on, so my hearing was inhibited) look down and the bikes not running and the oil light is on. Mind you, she just had an oil change back around November. Checked out the oil level window and there's hardly any in there, but no trace of oil leaking or any on the road behind me. The bike has just rolled 39,000 km's, but I've been pretty religious about maintenance. Is my engine completely screwed or is this some sort of fail safe feature? The bike will turn on and cycle through the fuel pump and all that, just won't do anything once I push the starter. Any advice? I'm terrified and at a loss for rational thought right now.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Sounds like you have a seized engine man. Put her in neutral and roll it back and forth. If it's not moving than your motor is gone. You'll most likely need a rebuild. Going to be real hard to pin that on a shop from 5 months ago. I check my oil level every couple rides. Not sure if there is a low oil failsafe kill switch.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Is the bike in neutral and clutch pulled in when trying to re-start. I can't remember if the 848 has a low oil pressure shut-off.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm a bit more collected now. Garrett, I'm still able to shift the bike relatively smoothly and go through the gears. [email protected], yes, the bike is in neutral with the clutch in, but when I push the starter nothing happens, it doesn't even click.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Unfortunately this doesn't sound good.

Lock-up and oil light on are usually ominous signs.. (Of course the oil light comes on when the engine isn't turning over).

As Garrett suggested, get it up into about 4th gear and see if you can turn the motor over by pushing the bike.

If it is locked you are in trouble. I guess if you were wearing a headset you might not have heard any warning sounds it may have made.

As a second step (if it appears to be locked up) try the push-in-gear test with the cam belt covers removed. This will show if there is any movement at the crank as you push it in a high gear.

Good luck. And let us know how you go..

:eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pat! I'll try messing around with it more after work today. I've already started to accept that she's a goner for now and won't be riding for the rest of my 4 months in Europe. This brings me to my next dilhemma, go with a 1038 big bore or just drop in an ebay engine? Hmmm...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news, I was able to shift through all the gears and when the bike was in gear I could hear the engine making noise as I rocked it back and forth, so that should mean it's not seized. Still boggled as to why I get nothing when I push the starter button. I'll check all the fuses even though it's not throwing a code, just to be safe

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Sounds like either your clutch safety or kick stand safety might be buggered. When my kickstand safety went it caused odd running issues. I would be accelerating and the engine would die as you described. Would die as if I had just put the kickstand down.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you have a rear stand, get the rear wheel off the ground, put the bike in 3rd gear and turn the rear wheel. You should be able to turn the engine over that way. Give it a complete turn-over, make sure it does turn over all the way.

If it does, then you're probably in luck.

If it doesn't, then you've probably cooked something.

If you see anything on the sight glass, it's OK. The sump on the 848 is pretty big and the pickup is low as well, so I wouldn't worry. The oil light goes on when the engine stalls away, so that's not the problem.

My guess is, like Patrick said… it's probably one of the failsafe sensors. Maybe you rode through a puddle and got the bike wet and the sensor/cable shorted out. It's very common for the kickstand sensor to go bad that way. However, my guess its ignition based because if you put the bike in neutral (and see the green N light), it should start no matter what the kickstand position is in.

So do that engine turning test and let us know what you see.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Tuned, I don't have a rearstand, but I'll try pushing it along in 3rd or 4th as reccomended. Regarding the kickstand sensor, it's definitely a possibility because I admit to resorting to somewhat crude quarter car washes to get the bike clean (apartment life sucks!) and the weather has been somewhat sucky here lately. If messing around with that fails, I'll start looking into common ignition issues. Also, just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input and advice with the diagnosis. Being an amateur I'd be up s*** creek without a paddle if it weren't for you guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.