Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!
I've a problem with my ducati 1098 tricolore (2007).
It has for a couple of weeks been hard to coldstart but i thought it had to be me since i'vnt ride it for a while and when i have done it, it has been only for a short time.
But today when i was going for a longer ride it didnt start first (did the start seq about two times before it had sucked all the battery) so I got my ctek and recharged it for about 15min then it started and we went away.

Rode for about 2h and then stopped for some food, then after about a 30min we started riding again.

Then about 20mins later the diagnostic light lamp blinked and the display didnt show any speed (this only happend for like 2sec so i could see any error code) the engine was sounding ok and everything, so i pulled to the side just to "reboot" the bike and the lamp was off.
Rode for about another 20min and then it started to happend again, so i decided it was the best to go home. When i went into the garage i noticed that everytime the diagnostic light lamp blinked also my headlight went off just to come on again when the diagnostic light dissapered.

I know i probably need to take the bike to a dealer but just wanted to check if you have seen this before? and if its possible to read the error codes even if the diagnostic light is turned off.

//BR
Patrik

EDIT: Its not the engine light it is the "Diagnostic light"

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Regulator?

Was the voltage regulator recall done on your bike. If that is going it will do all kinds of unpredictable shit. My turn signals would work as well as my headlight but after a short ride they would all go dead.

If the regulator hasn't been replaced then definitely get that done.

Good luck
Peace
Peewee

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the voltage regulator recall done on your bike. If that is going it will do all kinds of unpredictable shit. My turn signals would work as well as my headlight but after a short ride they would all go dead.

If the regulator hasn't been replaced then definitely get that done.

Good luck
Peace
Peewee
I'm the second owner so i'm not quite sure it has been. Need to check the servicebook to see if it says anything.

But it seems to me to be the voltage regulator to.

//BR
Patrk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Check!

Yeah, you need the dealer to run the VIN because there were at least TWO factory recalls on this bike. One was the voltage regulator which I'd BET is causing your problem and if you even THINK it has damaged your battery..... make them check it and replace it for free if it's damaged. The second was the Cush (SP?) drive and THAT could be a disaster if that goes while you are underway! GET THEM CHECKED!! For your own safety.

Peace
Peewee

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you need the dealer to run the VIN because there were at least TWO factory recalls on this bike. One was the voltage regulator which I'd BET is causing your problem and if you even THINK it has damaged your battery..... make them check it and replace it for free if it's damaged. The second was the Cush (SP?) drive and THAT could be a disaster if that goes while you are underway! GET THEM CHECKED!! For your own safety.

Peace
Peewee
Seems like they have been done, (but ofc i can still be the regulator)
I talked to the dealer yesterday and he told me to measure the volt on the battery when running the engine around 3-4000rpm and also to do the same on the generator.

I did it on both and the battery says around 14.1 and generator around 70v so all seems good.

The problem is that i can't trigger the problem it just occurs.
Could it be something with the battery?

//P

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Nope

Seems like they have been done, (but ofc i can still be the regulator)
I talked to the dealer yesterday and he told me to measure the volt on the battery when running the engine around 3-4000rpm and also to do the same on the generator.

I did it on both and the battery says around 14.1 and generator around 70v so all seems good.

The problem is that i can't trigger the problem it just occurs.
Could it be something with the battery?

//P
Once the bike starts the battery is not used. The regulator could be intermittent. Mine was. Tell the dealer to test the bike HIMSELF!!! And FIX IT!!!

Peace
Peewee

·
Registered
938 Posts
I experienced exactly the same symptoms. Mine was diagnosed of a faulty voltage regulator. after it was replaced every thing was okey.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I experienced exactly the same symptoms. Mine was diagnosed of a faulty voltage regulator. after it was replaced every thing was okey.

Thanks for the answer, I've talked to my dealer and he was very helpful, he have sent a new VR to me so i'll have it tomorrow so i can change it.

Hope this helps now.

//BR
Patrik

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just changed the VR and no change =( I was able to record the problem with my iphone, i've put it on youtube so you can check it out.
I also noticed that the problem also happends when the engine is off.

Link to the clip:

Around 0.14.

It cant be a relay or fuse or something?

//BR
Patrik

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
shoot. so it can be the battery, the dash or the generator. sorry i'm not sure how you troubleshoot things from here. do you have a buddy you can swap batteries with? this would probably be the next easiest thing to check.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
shoot. so it can be the battery, the dash or the generator. sorry i'm not sure how you troubleshoot things from here. do you have a buddy you can swap batteries with? this would probably be the next easiest thing to check.

Swapped the battery to my old one (which didnt show these errors) but i does the same.
The generator seems to be fine since it's giving around 70volts.

I'm thinking of pulling the fuse to the dash and see if its giving the symptoms with the headlight, but i can't see why the dash would be the problem when the headlight turns of when the yellow light blinks.

Damn I'm stuck here, I probably should take it to the dealer but it is about 250km away. (there is one closer but they suck)

//BR
Patrik

EDIT:

Is it possible to see error codes with the DDA (Ducati data analyzer)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Tested with the original ecu (not the one for termi) and same problem.

Is it possible that it could be the key? (do they have a chip in them like car keys?)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
i doubt it is the key. if i'm not mistaken the only purpose of the chip in the key is to activate the immobilizer (anti theft). also i don't think the dda has anything to do with error codes.

try doing another search. i remember a while ago someone had mentioned a corroded connection that made the bike not work at all. after cleaning the connection everything was fine again. sorry can't remember exactly which connector. maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried with another key but no luck! I olso noticed that I've mentioned the wrong light in the thread it is the "diagnostic light" that blinks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My bike had a similar problem, Faulty ECU. Seems that there are a lot of components in the electrical system that have similar symptoms when they go bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My bike had a similar problem, Faulty ECU. Seems that there are a lot of components in the electrical system that have similar symptoms when they go bad.
I changed to the original (had the termignoni one on) and the same problem showed. I'm sick at the moment so I have'nt been able to do any more diagnostics on it.
//BR
Patrik

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Try having a look at the relay for the headlights.
I think you may need to take the nose fairing off to get at it???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts