Ducati.org forum banner

Ducati 1098 -07 Engine light (blinks) problem (Headlight turns off)

30K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  ducati848ev 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi!
I've a problem with my ducati 1098 tricolore (2007).
It has for a couple of weeks been hard to coldstart but i thought it had to be me since i'vnt ride it for a while and when i have done it, it has been only for a short time.
But today when i was going for a longer ride it didnt start first (did the start seq about two times before it had sucked all the battery) so I got my ctek and recharged it for about 15min then it started and we went away.

Rode for about 2h and then stopped for some food, then after about a 30min we started riding again.

Then about 20mins later the diagnostic light lamp blinked and the display didnt show any speed (this only happend for like 2sec so i could see any error code) the engine was sounding ok and everything, so i pulled to the side just to "reboot" the bike and the lamp was off.
Rode for about another 20min and then it started to happend again, so i decided it was the best to go home. When i went into the garage i noticed that everytime the diagnostic light lamp blinked also my headlight went off just to come on again when the diagnostic light dissapered.

I know i probably need to take the bike to a dealer but just wanted to check if you have seen this before? and if its possible to read the error codes even if the diagnostic light is turned off.

//BR
Patrik

EDIT: Its not the engine light it is the "Diagnostic light"

See less See more
#3 ·
Regulator?

Was the voltage regulator recall done on your bike. If that is going it will do all kinds of unpredictable shit. My turn signals would work as well as my headlight but after a short ride they would all go dead.

If the regulator hasn't been replaced then definitely get that done.

Good luck
Peace
Peewee

#4 ·
Was the voltage regulator recall done on your bike. If that is going it will do all kinds of unpredictable shit. My turn signals would work as well as my headlight but after a short ride they would all go dead.

If the regulator hasn't been replaced then definitely get that done.

Good luck
Peace
Peewee
I'm the second owner so i'm not quite sure it has been. Need to check the servicebook to see if it says anything.

But it seems to me to be the voltage regulator to.

//BR
Patrk

#5 ·
Check!

Yeah, you need the dealer to run the VIN because there were at least TWO factory recalls on this bike. One was the voltage regulator which I'd BET is causing your problem and if you even THINK it has damaged your battery..... make them check it and replace it for free if it's damaged. The second was the Cush (SP?) drive and THAT could be a disaster if that goes while you are underway! GET THEM CHECKED!! For your own safety.

Peace
Peewee

#6 ·
Yeah, you need the dealer to run the VIN because there were at least TWO factory recalls on this bike. One was the voltage regulator which I'd BET is causing your problem and if you even THINK it has damaged your battery..... make them check it and replace it for free if it's damaged. The second was the Cush (SP?) drive and THAT could be a disaster if that goes while you are underway! GET THEM CHECKED!! For your own safety.

Peace
Peewee
Seems like they have been done, (but ofc i can still be the regulator)
I talked to the dealer yesterday and he told me to measure the volt on the battery when running the engine around 3-4000rpm and also to do the same on the generator.

I did it on both and the battery says around 14.1 and generator around 70v so all seems good.

The problem is that i can't trigger the problem it just occurs.
Could it be something with the battery?

//P

#8 ·
I experienced exactly the same symptoms. Mine was diagnosed of a faulty voltage regulator. after it was replaced every thing was okey.

#10 ·
I just changed the VR and no change =( I was able to record the problem with my iphone, i've put it on youtube so you can check it out.
I also noticed that the problem also happends when the engine is off.

Link to the clip:

Around 0.14.

It cant be a relay or fuse or something?

//BR
Patrik

#37 ·
I just changed the VR and no change =( I was able to record the problem with my iphone, i've put it on youtube so you can check it out.
I also noticed that the problem also happends when the engine is off.

Link to the clip:

Around 0.14.

It cant be a relay or fuse or something?

//BR
Patrik
if the whole dash and headlights turn off,im going to say the
Hi!
I've a problem with my ducati 1098 tricolore (2007).
It has for a couple of weeks been hard to coldstart but i thought it had to be me since i'vnt ride it for a while and when i have done it, it has been only for a short time.
But today when i was going for a longer ride it didnt start first (did the start seq about two times before it had sucked all the battery) so I got my ctek and recharged it for about 15min then it started and we went away.

Rode for about 2h and then stopped for some food, then after about a 30min we started riding again.

Then about 20mins later the diagnostic light lamp blinked and the display didnt show any speed (this only happend for like 2sec so i could see any error code) the engine was sounding ok and everything, so i pulled to the side just to "reboot" the bike and the lamp was off.
Rode for about another 20min and then it started to happend again, so i decided it was the best to go home. When i went into the garage i noticed that everytime the diagnostic light lamp blinked also my headlight went off just to come on again when the diagnostic light dissapered.

I know i probably need to take the bike to a dealer but just wanted to check if you have seen this before? and if its possible to read the error codes even if the diagnostic light is turned off.

//BR
Patrik
ggest check
EDIT: Its not the engine light it is the "Diagnostic light"
if the whole dash and headlights turn off,im going to suggest checking your battery terminals connections and check the ohm meter for the voltage regulator
if the dash lights stay on but some parts turn off when the headlights turn off,im going to suggest the headlight relay and you can check it with the ohm meter or just replace it and its not to expensive but worth peace of mind and since your aleady there just replace it anyways,its one less thing to worry about
now if you took the bike apart and put it back together and you started to have this problem then i would suggest checking the main back plug for the headlights thats its nice and snugged ...good luck.......peace

#12 · (Edited)
Swapped the battery to my old one (which didnt show these errors) but i does the same.
The generator seems to be fine since it's giving around 70volts.

I'm thinking of pulling the fuse to the dash and see if its giving the symptoms with the headlight, but i can't see why the dash would be the problem when the headlight turns of when the yellow light blinks.

Damn I'm stuck here, I probably should take it to the dealer but it is about 250km away. (there is one closer but they suck)

//BR
Patrik

EDIT:

Is it possible to see error codes with the DDA (Ducati data analyzer)?

#14 ·
i doubt it is the key. if i'm not mistaken the only purpose of the chip in the key is to activate the immobilizer (anti theft). also i don't think the dda has anything to do with error codes.

try doing another search. i remember a while ago someone had mentioned a corroded connection that made the bike not work at all. after cleaning the connection everything was fine again. sorry can't remember exactly which connector. maybe someone else will chime in.

#24 · (Edited)
Update: Just had it to the dealer running it thru the computer, it says "Can line error - short circuit" which could mean that the whole main loom needs replacing or that the dash needs replacement.

The main loom seems like hell to change and the dash costs alot and needs new keys etc.

But my thought is that if it would be a open circuit on the main loom it would show all the time right? but i can have the ignition on for 20min and nothing happends and then shut it off and on again just to see it happend then.
So maybe it is the dash?

//Patrik

#28 ·
Checking operation of the high beam lights relay
Disconnect the relay (1) from the electrical system and apply 12 V (battery voltage) between contacts (113) and (133) (small contacts): you should hear a click that confirms that the internal electromagnet has switched.
Connect a multimeter to contacts (121) and (122) (big contacts) to check for the full scale reading (analogue tester) or buzzer (digital tester). If this does not occur, the part must be renewed.

Attachments

#35 ·
Hello all!
I know this thread is super old but I'm having the same issue. However I do not have a dda connected to my 1098's USB/data link connector. I will try erasing it anyways but this is where I'm at. The previous owner did a bunch of funky stuff to the bike and I've been going through it fixing everything I find. Recently replaced the starter clutch and noticed the stator/voltage accumulator looked kinda toasty but didn't replace it yet. So the bike struggles to start on cold starts but usually after the third time she starts. After about 1.5-2 hours of riding the headlights, taillights, turn signals and dashboard back lighting will come on an off. During daylight it'll just shut off completely but when the RPMs drop to nearly idle level they will kick back on and the diag light will come on and flash a couple times but the lights will quickly go back off. I've ran it with the stator unplugged to see what that would do and everything stays the same, no change. I've ran the vin and all recalls have been done (supposedly). So will the USB erase be able to to do anything even if there is no dda hooked up? I can't see how the stator would create this issue without shutting literally everything down, not just the lighting system, VR might be worth replacing, I'm really hoping it's not the dash or the loom because that's just more work I don't wanna do. I purchased a 4 pin to OBD2 adapter so I can try and read the codes so hopefully that works in telling me what's going on. I only have 2 dealers in my area and both are very busy and can't see my bike for about a week and I know they both will rake me over the coals for just diagnosing my bike. Has anyone had any new developments or ideas since this discuss started?? Any help would be appreciated!

#36 ·
May be worth posting to a new thread....

However, I am having a similar issue, pretty sure its the voltage r/r as it seems to happen when I'm in stop and go traffic and the coolant temp gets up there, so thinking that the r/r gets overheated. Went to the dealer and talked to the parts girl and gave her the Triumph part number for the r/r upgrade and she did a lot of cross referencing and found a r/r from Ducati that is supposedly an updated version, I'm hoping that it will just bolt on instead of having to make an adapter plate/bracket. Waiting on the adapter harness to come in before I dig into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.