Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So obviously new to the Ducati family but just bought a 2007 Ducati 1098 used. It has race fairings and a lot of after market items on it so we are having a hard time figuring out if it is a 1098, 1098S or a 1098R. The man we bought it from was unsure and had no idea what he had as far as the bike is concerned.

We have been doing our research and I understand the S has the Ohlin suspension, the data processor, and also the Marchesni wheels. We were curious about any difference that can help us rule out it being the 1098R instead of the S.

It has an aluminum tank, Data processor for the race information and the Ohlin suspension and Marchesni wheels that we know of so far. I also did a little poking about to decode the VIN but ran into a few road blocks when the numbers didn't match up.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 2007 1098S did not have an aluminum tank and I can't say whether the R did, but if it looks like a factory tank, I'm guessing you got an R....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Best to research before the purchase .. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wish the 1098R came with an aluminum tank, but not until the 1198R, did Ducati change over to aluminum. However the 1098R was the first Ducati to come with a slipper clutch. But the easiest way to determine if you have a 1098R is the engine size, a 1098R is 1198cc.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The biggest giveaway is the frame on the R . The 1098 and 1098 S have the spigot for the steering damper welded while the R model was bolted .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a couple pictures. Let me know if you need something in particular to see. And if anyone is interested in carbon fiber race fairings, they're for sale. ;) we are going to make it street legal.

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I'm correct, the 1098R's were all 2008, so the title should state that and unless the frame has been painted I'm sure they were all red. I agree with W17, because those are 1198 wheels.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yes a bit of a bitzer from the looks of it.

The frame colour looks like a 1098S Tricolore, the wheels look like 1198, the forks look like base model Showas.

If it was an R it would have the removable steering damper bracket as W mentioned, and the two position headstock, which is larger diameter than the other models, with pinch bolts on the side.

Looking like an 1198 base, or a 1098 bitzer. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you paid, obviously. It's got the full Termi exhaust.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I was thinking tricolour as well Pat but it has a black swingarm . I think it might have started life as a black 1198 with the gold frame .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts