Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1198 and have been slowly customizing with Ducati Performance parts (hand controls, fork adjusters, bar end weights) to go along with the CF Termis and other CF additions.

I'm close to getting this bike where I want it, and I want to add a new clutch pressure plate/cover this spring. I'm also looking at rear sets and would prefer to just get some replacement footpegs to go into the stock rear sets. I don't think the extra several hundred dollars is really worth a new pair of rearsets as my main complaint is the slippery feeling of the stock footpegs.

I've seen a couple brands (Sato, Spiegler, Competition Werkes) that sell footpegs for the OEM rear sets. Personally, I don't like the look of the CW option. The Sato's and the Spiegler's seem the most functional and look the best with the Spiegler's being the cheaper option. Anyone have any experience with the Spiegler's or Sato's. Appreciate your help!

DucatiDC

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DucsUnlimited,

Thanks for the quick reply and it appears we are looking at the same footpegs. I like the "Roadrace" versus the "Standard" LSLs. Glad to hear that your friend is pleased with them. I assume he has the Roadrace version as well?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
566 Posts
DucsUnlimited,

Thanks for the quick reply and it appears we are looking at the same footpegs. I like the "Roadrace" versus the "Standard" LSLs. Glad to hear that your friend is pleased with them. I assume he has the Roadrace version as well?

Thanks again!
Yes he has the "roadrace" version, which would also be what I'd choose over the standard. We went riding yesterday and I asked him about them and he said they're great, and a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have those same issues but will go with the foldable pegs.

Do remember that the rearset tabs on the frame tend to bend if you go down with a solid footpeg vs the folding style!

·
Registered
262 Posts
DucatiDC, that's the combo i went with. The roadrace peg with the fold-up bracket. Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speigler Footpegs and DP Clutch Pressure Plate/Cover Received and Installed

I thought I would update everyone on the Speigler footpegs that replaced the stock footpegs on my 1198. First and foremost, the new footpegs are a major improvement over the stock pegs. I took the bike out for a ride this past Saturday and the amount of increased grip exceeded my expectations. I went with the black foldable racing version vice the standard/scalloped version.

The racing version is a bit shorter 2 3/4" versus the 3 1/4 standard. I see no noticable difference or discomfort with the shorter pegs. The only downside I see is that the black pegs have a fairly bold white-colored serial number that runs along the outside edge of the pegs where they meet the mounting brackets. This might not be as apparent on the other colored pegs. It's a minor point but I thought it was worth noting.

I also had my clutch pressure plate and CF cover installed. However, my clutch lever engages/disengages at the very last millimeter before the lever is fully released. It is a little late in my opinion and while I didn't slip any gears, it felt almost like I was on the edge of slipping a gear once or twice. I will admit that I am neither confident nor competent to make this adjustment myself so I will take the bike back in tomorrow to make this minor adjustment and I should be good for spring riding.

Appreciate your thoughts/comments.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Some of those aftermarket pressure plates have a different set height to the standard item. That is - the flat face that engages the clutch plates has a different relative height to the spring mounts/thrust bearing.

Sometimes you need to add or subtract a steel clutch plate. I seem to remember for the DP pressure plate you need to subtract one, but can't say for certain. You should have two steel plates adjacent innermost in your pack - simply remove one.

This may account for the symptoms you describe. Your dealer should be aware of this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts