Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned in the MV Agusta forum that Ducati have been saying that this will be the last year for them in WSBK if they dont allow for 1200 cc vtwins...I quite dont understand this so someone might be better qualified to explain...they are saying that they dont make 999s anymore so they cant race 999s...but they do make 1098 models...so why cant they race those?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read the article and I still dont understand why Ducati wants 1200cc. Is it because the 198 hp made by the twin kills the engine so fast? Is that why they want a larger capacity so that the bike engine is not so stressed?

·
Registered
547 Posts
suryad said:
I read the article and I still dont understand why Ducati wants 1200cc. Is it because the 198 hp made by the twin kills the engine so fast? Is that why they want a larger capacity so that the bike engine is not so stressed?

Thats what it seems like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's not good! The means ducati will only be in the motogp and it's not the 999 or 1098. Hopefully WSBK will change their rules. Hate to watch WSBK and not cheer for the duc team. Since ducati left AMA, all I have is the WSBK until next season.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The problem is that if WSB allows them to run 1200cc, then the Japanese companies are probably going to pull out. Also, the general public just sees this as Ducati wanting something it doesn't need, I don't think they know that the twins can currently be modified heavily and they are willing to give that up for the 1200cc rule. Things will be bad for WSBK regardless of the decision they make.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think WSBK should be proactive and let Ducati do this. Not because of my bias but Ducati IS what keeps the WSBK going. They should make it a no rules barred kind of competition... :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 2 reasons ducati want 1200cc are

1) is to make the road bike competitve against its natural road competors ie r1 GSXR1k etc, off the floor.

2) to make a race bike more affordable for the private teams, the 1200cc can produce competitive horsepower from a much lower state of tune allowing lower running costs, compared to the 999 which is already strung out now and the 1000cc fours are increasing in power all the time.

Cheers

Jared

·
Registered
131 Posts
well im certainly no insider with special info on the matter but heres my not so educated guess.
i believe that the fact that the new bike is a 1099cc tells alot. My guess is Ducati put in a request for 1200cc's figuring if they dont give it to them they can then say to WSBK , well OK how about a compromise of 1100cc's?? my opinion on this is no doubt tainted as i dont really want to see them get a 1200cc as i want to see 1098s racing!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Next Ducati Superbike

Guys,

I'm with Steve on this. (BTW, this issue has been thoroughly hashed out on Carlos' thread, "1198R info".)

Ducati is asking for a 1,200cc limit on V-Twins in WSBK because they want to race the 1098. They're asking for 1,200 hoping to get 1,100. That's part of negotiating. It doesn't make sense for FIM to approve the full 200 cc bump for V-Twins. That would infuriate all the Japanese manufacturers and make a mess out of WSBK. Instead, a 100cc increase would be a fairer compromise. I imagine FIM wants to keep WSBK competitive rather than making it a showcase for Ducati Corse.

And of course, like Steve, I own a 1098 and therefore am biased.

Elton

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. Apologies there was a thread open and I opened up another one...WSBK is a good source of advertising for Ducati so I am sure they will not want to quit...and I think WSBK knows that Ducati is a large part of WSBK family so they will not want to alienate them so it could well be that you are right and 1098 will be the capacity that WSBK will accept. Either way we should know soon enough in May or June right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts