Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm going to by a motorcycle but I don't know which one to buy, I'm between 1299 base and the S1000RR, which you recommend me and why, thanks.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Of course we will all recommend that you ride both bikes, and take it from there. And of course most of us will tend to prefer the Ducati..

But these two machines have such completely different natures it won't be an easy choice.

The Ducati will make so much torque with not many revs, whereas the BMW will need a bunch of revs to get working.

But both are great bikes. It will come down to $$, and personal taste. Once you ride them their 'differentness' may surprise you.

But having all that grunt without revs can be pretty nice - especially in a road bike.

But flat out? Probably not that much in it.

It really comes down to whether you are happy to keep the revs up to access the bike's power, or whether you prefer being able to ride 'mellow', and still have plenty of power ready to go without having to change down gears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a S1000RR, was a excellent motorcycle, super fast, easy to ride full electronic. I just want to be sure about ducati, cares, cost, benefits over BMW S1000RR etc etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'll be the first to welcome you to the forum!

The S1000RR and Ducati 1299 are totally opposite ends of the spectrum, within the same class.

The BMW has become a brilliant and very well supported machine. They have dealerships all over the world and excellent parts support for both OEM and aftermarket. They set the benchmark for liter bikes in terms of stock power output vs price vs performance. Plus, BMW has been a dominant race bike, meaning it's been designed properly.

The Ducati is more of a luxury machine in comparison, less mass-produced, more unique. It's also an animal in power delivery, it's more rough around the edges then the ultra-smooth BMW. Ducati does have a great dealer network, but warranty support can be spotty and time consuming. Plus, Ducati does require more maintenance in the long-term at higher service rates. Most of the Ducati dealerships near me charge $95 per HALF hour, where the local BMW shops are $90 per HOUR.

When either bike runs out of warranty, they become more and more expensive to deal with. However, knowing many people who race BMW's, they seem to be ultra reliable being abused on the track. That's something you never hear from people racing Ducati's of any kind. I haven't heard a single horror story of the S1000RR going pop, but man don't get me started on Ducati stories.

So it's really a tough call. The Panigale is a very nice bike, but it is a luxury item and as such, it's absolutely more fragile then the super robust BMW S1000RR. If you're the kind of guy who's going to drive up to a dealership in a Mercedes or Prius, walk in and buy a brand new bike in cash, with the matching branded gear, then go for the Ducati. If you're the kind of guy who's gonna drive up to a dealership in a BMW sports car, buy a BMW.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you're buying a bike based on look or colors, you're probably right on track for Ducati ownership.

Most people buy based on price vs performance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Price vs performance? Witch recommend, you've handled both bikes?
I have ridden both bikes, I really like both of them honestly. They're so different, it's hard to quantify which one is better. I haven't ridden the BMW on the track, but I have ridden the Panigale on the track, many different versions from the base to the R. I prefer the thinness of the Panigale over the fat BMW. The peg to seat and seat to peg distances are also totally different and the BMW just feels more comfortable over the longer distance rides, even though it's clearly a fatter bike.

Price vs performance relates to how much you invest vs how much you get out of that investment. With the Panigale, you've gotta invest a lot to get BMW performance. Sure, the BMW doesn't have the looks, damn thing is nearly a Jap bike in looks, but everything else from the suspension to the chassis is excellent. To get that performance out of a base Panigale is costly. So you're total investment in building the package is measured by initial cost + add-on's to make them equal. The BMW win's all the way around!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
In which our self-appointed 'expert' convinces another potential Ducati buyer not to bother.

On a Ducati forum, of all places.

Yes, well - you wouldn't want to be caught doing something as foolish as buying Ducati's latest model, would you?

Which the Ducati-hating, non-Ducati-owning 'expert' hasn't even ridden..

:jerkoff:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
At least I gave him my educated opinion on the matter, instead of attempting to side track the thread with cock swinging. Hopefully he understands other Ducati riders are nice.

Reactions: karelin

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Bugger it. I'm calling the Apostrophe Police.

I can't take any more misspelled, ridiculous 'advice' from this dick.

How about - since you don't have sufficient English skills to pass a Primary School test - you just stop using apostrophes?

You have got absolutely no idea of where they apply, so just leave them out.

They make your constant, insulting 'contributions' even more annoying than they already are.

And that's more than any of us should have to put up with.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.