Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Ducati 848 was out in the open over the christmas break when I had gone for vacation. Came back and tried starting it up but was hearing only a clicking noise. Charged the battery for a day using a tender and it now cranks and almost starts but doesn't completely start up. Push start also led to the same behavior. Voltage was at 12.1v so ordered a new stock (Yuasa) battery. Charged it for a day and voltage came upto 12.7v. Unfortunately, it still does not start. Any tips on what could be the cause and anything I can check for before I tow it to a mechanic?

Video link:

Thanks!

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Too much gas, technically you should not have to give it any sometimes just a little turn. Sounded like it almost fired.

Check your plugs

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Empty injectors from sitting then too much gas by cranking and giving it throttle. Recharge battery, start cranking and open throttle wide and it'll fire. Mine does the same thing beginning of each season if it's been sitting for more than a few weeks. As soon as it catches, release the throttle.

Cycle the key a few times to prime the injectors too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I tried starting it again with the new battery charged for an entire day. When I hit the starter, it starts for a couple of seconds and stays at 1000rpm and then dies. Also, throttling the gas kills the engine instantly. What does that mean? Could it be water in the tank/electricals?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I mean there "could" be water in the tank doesn't hurt to siphon out the old and put in some new fuel and see if it helps. Hopefully that will turn it over and let it idle for longer that what it has. Maybe it just needs to build water some temperature up get that motor nice and hot

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You probably should drain the tank and replace with fresh juice.

And allow it some running time to cycle through.

Your fuel filter might be worth replacing if you remove the tank to drain it.

That way you can be sure there is new fuel all the way.

Since the lead was removed from our petrol (gas) it was replaced with chemicals which evaporate off and reduce after about six weeks.

It may just be this which is affecting it. If you try running it with the old fuel you will probably end up needing to replace the spark plugs, which can foul on old fuel.

So a minor service might be worthwhile. New fuel, fuel filter and spark plugs, and get back to us.

The plugs are cheaper from a non-Ducati source - as in, half price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.