Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2011 ducati 848 evo and i have been having issues the past month with starting my bike, it has been struggling to turn on. One day i rode to work and when i was ready to go home i went to turn the bike on and it finally wouldn't turn over. I had to get a boost to turn it on since i had no luck push starting it (I suck at push starting). I was able to ride the bike home after the boost and i was even able to turn it off and back on after i made it home. I checked the battery voltage on my cluster and saw that the voltage for the battery was at 11.5 when off and when its on the voltage rises to 13.9. I let the bike sit for a couple of days and attempted to turn the bike back on and it did, same struggles as it had before but it did turn over. At this point i wasn't sure what to make of the situation other than maybe something was shorting out the battery. I had LED lights installed a while back which i ended up removing thinking that this was the culprit and my problem would be solved. I rode the bike for a couple of days and was able to start it each time i went for a ride, i thought that maybe the problem was resolved. I decided to ride my bike to work again. I let the bike sit for about 4 hours and came back out to start it ...... cranked and it wouldn't turn over, i was stuck again! How could the battery be dead after 4 hours of sitting when i had the thing parked up in my garage for several days and it was able to start it then? I was extremely confused. After i got a jump start i decided to keep an eye on the voltage as i rode home and here is what i found: When the bike wouldn't start, the voltage was at 10.6 V (much lower than when i measured it last time, hence causing the bike to not start). After the boost and letting it idle for a bit the voltage jumped up to 13.9 V, as it should when the bike is on therefore indicating that the charging system is doing its job. After riding for about an hour and the bike being nice and warm (as these bikes usually get) i checked on the voltage again and it was at 13.1V. This didn't seem normal to me. I rode for a bit more, the bike reached about 215 degrees as i was in traffic, i checked the voltage again and now it was at 12.3 volts. Now I'm thinking that it may be my charging system. By the time i made it home, with the bike on and idling the voltage dropped to 11.8V. If i revved the bike up, the voltage went up to 12V but thats as far as it went. The strangest part about this was when i turned the bike off and turned it back on, i checked the voltage again and it immediately went back up to 13.7 volts. I have a hunch that the regulator may be on its way out. I have since replaced the battery with a brand new one just to be on the safe side and rule that part of it out, but the same behavior continues, the voltage will read 13.9V when i first turn on the bike and then progressively drop down to just under 12V after riding for a while and the bike getting hot over 210 degrees. Has anyone else had these problems? Is this normal behavior? If it isn't, which i suspect it is not, what would be the first charging component that i check? What tests can i further perform to determine if i have a bad regulator rectifier? Any help that you guys can provide would be extremely helpful.

thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. The 848s motor is strong, but the electrical part is such a nightmare for Ducati and other Italian bikes. Hope you get it fixed soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts