Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden all japanese bikes up until the 848 arrived today. Much to shock I am having a problem shifting. (yes even into 1st) Besides my man EGO being bruised I am more interested in figuring out my problem and get on the road!! Can anyone please give a complete explanation??!!:mad::violin:

·
Registered
765 Posts
What exactly is the problem with shifting? Without details, the best advice I can give you is to start with adjusting the shift lever. Moving it even just a notch or two up or down can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Ill try that. I am familiar with shifting into first by pushing down into 1st. When I shift into 1st with this beauty it stalls. Is it a reverse shift pattern? Is there a computer setting that will help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No computer is going to help. Sit on the bike. Rock it back and forth. go through the gears. 1 up 5 down is reverse pattern. 1 down 5 up is standard. If you bought a used bike it may have been reversed.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like operator error to me but, I'm a squid these guys comments are ten times better check out that kick stand and adjust your lever out a click see what happens.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm with blacklight on this one. Not ragging on you by any means but I had similar issues when I went from my R6 to my 848. There was so little play on my 848 compared to what I was used to I killed it all the time. Also, how many miles are on the bike? Maybe it just needs to be broken in more? I noticed shifting/finding neutral got significantly easier as I started to rack up miles. Best of luck with figuring this issue out so you can get back on the road!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The respond by outhouse is likely correct.

If the clutch line has air in it, the plates will not not separate enough when the clutch lever is pulled. Clutch plates dragging will put a load on the engine when shifting into 1st at a stop and this will cause the engine to stall.

Also, if the clutch isn't disengaging properly it will make upshifts and downshifts more difficult.

A worn (notched) clutch basket will also affect shifting smoothness.

This problem can also be caused by using a aftermarket larger-diameter clutch slave cylinder that reduces clutch lever pull at the expense of less plate separation.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes! We tend to harp on this for the new guys, but the clutch hydraulics need to be bled frequently on these models for nice gearchanging.
Particularly (as stated above) if an aftermarket slave cylinder is fitted. The larger bore slave gives a lighter action at the expense of clutch separation.
So teach yourself to bleed the system - it only takes a couple of minutes when you are set up - and bleed it (top and bottom) as soon as the fluid discolours.
Adjusting your lever away from the bar will also help.
There is a satisfaction to curing these problems yourself, but take care if you are not experienced with hydraulics - you don't want to introduce air into the system inadvertently. You must only open the bleed valve while the lever is being pulled towards the bar, and close it before it reaches the end of its travel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts