Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Few days ago I discovered a ducati 996r for sale. For me owning one of these has been a dream for years and now I seem to have a good chance to buy one.

When I got pictures I was a little bit disappointed.
The bike is clean and very well maintained but quite a few things are not original and when buying/owning a special bike like the 996r I think everything should be original.

Some info; less than 10k km on the clock, 3rd owner. Has been taken to the track a few times.

The problems I discovered on the pictures;

1. Not the original front mudguard
2. Not the original front brakes/discs (owner might still have them)
3. Not the original exhaust system (this bike was sold with a normal and race exhaust right?)
4. No bike cover (bike was sold with a cover right?)
5. No original documentation
6. Mirrors should be black so I guess these are aftermarket or painted

If you guys look at the pictures do you see other things that are not original?
What do you think of the bike looking at the pictures and knowing the issues?
Are all original parts still available and is it worth it to buy the bike and make it completely original again?
Is the fact that it has been taken to the track an issue?
What do you think it is worth in the current condition?

All your help and info is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The brakes are the only thing which stands out to me. It's an entirely different kit then stock, nothing like the Brembo kit. Outside of that, small things like fenders aren't a big deal, remember these bikes are 14 years old and if passed through 3 owners, stuff goes missing. If it were the original owner, it may be strange but for the 3rd owner to not have that stuff, isn't unusual. Remember, the only thing that counts is if you like the bike.

Only thing I'd be worried about is price and maintenance documentation. These engines are the first generation and parts are hard to come by. So if it needs work done, it can get very expensive, even if you can do all the labor yourself. Same goes for the 998R and the non'R's of that same generation. So it's something to think about when it comes to price.

I wouldn't pay a dime over $15k USD for it and that's high in my view.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I might be mistaken but from the picture there is something wrong with the front fork. Too open or bent but, does not look right.
Maybe that's why it has a complete different front set up?
Get the Vin and let Bob run it for you.
And even if there is nothing wrong; I would not even get close to 10K.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I might be mistaken but from the picture there is something wrong with the front fork. Too open or bent but, does not look right.
It's an optical illusion caused by the fender not being straight. Most bikes look like that if you shoot them straight-on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also with this much unaccounted change, send the vin (frame) and engine number to Ducati in Italy - you can do so off their main we site. You should get a relatively timely answer (a business day or two) about if those numbers match and sometimes some other details regarding the original sale configuration of the bike. Never hurts to check.

I get your need to stay original and to me this doesn't meet the test even if you put it back. Look for one or two owner, original docs to the tee... might take a year but it'll be worth it - and harder in another year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.