Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is mostly for Ducati owners that have done a first 6500 miles or more Valve Adjustment Service. Were valves within specs or did you had to be adjusted?? How long you think can go when bike new without it?? I'm asking only because I got a chance to buy 1198S with 10,000miles on it, owner neglected 6500miles Valve Service, his excuse was he doesn't abuse the machine and no track days. Advise !!!!!! Should I take a risk and buy it or stay away. I got no experience on a topic so any input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Subjective question. Ideally, the valves should be checked at their prescribed intervals. But, if the bike wasn't wailed on - no track time or serious riding time - then chances favor that they won't be too far off. But definitions of wailed on are rather ambiguous...

And this doesn't mean they won't be off. Check them, or get them checked before you ride.

Why not ask the seller to adjust the price accordingly after the service has been accounted for, either on their part or yours?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The prescribed service intervals are negotiable on the 848/1098/1198. Yea, 10k does seem like a lot, but if the bike runs fine and doesn't have any horrible valve train noises, you're probably fine. Yes, loose clearances can cause lots of issues from the piston tapping the valve on closing to the damaging of the valve guides themselves. But honestly, you probably won't find any problems that wouldn't have been there at the 7500 mile service.

So no, I wouldn't worry about that aspect. However, what about oil changes?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I imagine an owner who is dismissive towards a service of that magnitude would be, more than likely, remiss towards such a trivial idea as fresh oil. If it were me, I'd get them checked.

But then again, I'm aware of more than a few bikes to which the valves were still spot on, in-spec at the first valve adjustment. Roll those dice.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
My 1098S Tricolore has 30 000km's on it now, many of them hard and some at the track. I have not had to change a shim yet and all are at the lower end of the tolerance. As others have said, it's very subjective to usage, oil selection and how accurately the parts were assembled in the first place. I check mine at the prescribed intervals regardless.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It all depends on how good of a deal you're getting. I wouldn't worry about the valve clearances as much as I'd worry about oil change history. I've come across a few 1x98's with insane valve clearances that needed to be tightened up from owner neglect. You can always tighten them up and be back to normal. As mentioned from others, how much valve noise you hear with the bike running is also a fair indication of neglect. I'd purchase it, adjust it's valves, new belts and oil change and you'll have yourself a good bike. They rarely suffer from valvetrain issues (even if neglected) their weakness (on some bikes) is the crank. Some 1198s came from factory with faulty crankshafts containing hair lline cracks. Given your bike already has 10k on it, I suspect you're fine.

Also just for reference, A customer of mine purchased an 1198 motor after popping his from too much abuse. He brought the motor to me after purchase, the motor "supposedly" had 11,000 miles on it and clearances close to 10x looser than preferred (I mean worst I've ever seen!). Tightened them back up, slapped new belts on it and an oil change and it runs like a champ!

Buy it if the price is right for you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it varies between bikes as to whether they go out or not.

Both cylinder exhaust valve shims were quite a way out on mine at 7.5k and the Tech was convinced they must have been wrong or marginal from the factory. They don't wear that fast in 7.5k of normal riding.

He had seen the same before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are great responses. Thanx everyone. Owner's got oil changes receipts from Ducati every 3K so safe there. As far as I can tell no noise from valve train but Im not expert in a matter. From what I read here I think I might take chance on it and do valves and belts right away. Its a Corse Edition and bike is flawless, good price too.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
The majority of these get all pulled apart at 7,500 mi (12,000 kms), measured, found to be 'within spec', and put back together unchanged. With a hefty bill to be paid.

The factory has increased the acceptable range for these clearances over the years. Once I set mine exactly they stayed good for long miles.

I let them go 18,000 kms (over 11,000 mi) and they were still well within spec. So you're probably OK, given that he has kept clean oil in it.

And just to clear up a common misconception - replacing valve clearance shims isn't made necessary by wear of the shim, but by changes at the valve/valve seat contact face.

·
Court Jester
12,108 Posts
Mine hade 2 valves out of spec at 2k miles, and then one out at 7500 miles. At 16k miles I had several I ended up adjusting them all myself.

Sacred? No.
Needed? IMO yes.

I believe my bike is running better after adjustment.

I agree with a previous post makes you wonder what else was neglected.

·
Court Jester
12,108 Posts
And just to clear up a common misconception - replacing valve clearance shims isn't made necessary by wear of the shim, but by changes at the valve/valve seat contact face.

Interesting I had noticed that many of the OEM shims were measuring smaller than the marked size. But now that you say this well of course the mechanic that had worked on the bike previously had sanded them!
Thanks Pat!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You're welcome.
Yes - many shims won't measure to their etched sizing for this reason.
One of the main things to get right if you're doing this job is making sure the shims and collars have an equal thickness all around their perimeter.
A lot of my grinding is aimed at evening them out. Sometimes after a previous repairer has ground them unevenly, or occasionally new un-ground ones will be 'out'. (This is one area where the EMS shims beat the stockers).
I just mark the thick or high side with a Texta and favour that side when grinding. You can end up with a shim that is a whole size under its marked dimension by the time it is true.
You want them to maintain a constant clearance if they rotate around the valve stem's axis.
Which brings us back to the old engineer's question - do valves (and shims) rotate in operation?
Probably worth another whole thread, that one.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine hade 2 valves out of spec at 2k miles, and then one out at 7500 miles. At 16k miles I had several I ended up adjusting them all myself.

Sacred? No.
Needed? IMO yes.

I believe my bike is running better after adjustment.

I agree with a previous post makes you wonder what else was neglected.
Hi,
I have 2014 Panigale 899 and did Valve adjustment at reputable shop. Yes its very reputable shop but...my valves were done by one of the techs...young kid I would call him...not the master. When he did the valves all others were in vacation. Any ways... after the valve adjustment it feels like bike is lacking power...Is this possible or I got use to the acceleration and the speed ? Not that I'm an expert but I don't think I can hear knocking valves . Is it possible this kid messed something up ? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
If facing any issue with Ducati Desmo Vlaves, you need to watch the following video. In India, we have issues which related to engine failing to start, delayed starting and stalling. Majority of defect relate to Desmo valves and dusty conditions as seen in India.

Is Ducati Desmo Valve Unreliable and Causing Abnormal Engine Wear? Oil Analysis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts